• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Saw the resurgence of cooling towers and thought I'd do one...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Poweredquest

Registered
Ok, I am doing this rather simple with off the shelf parts, with a twist...

Ok I am designing this like the following...
The base is 6" PVC with straight cap overall about 4-5" tall.
It will be tapped 3 times. 1 pump, 2 Level indicator, 3 auto fill port.
I plan on using a 2 liter bottle for the 'auto refill' feature. With a fitting to fit the bottle and a section of flexible line that would allow easy reconnect to a full 2 liter.
Above the 6" will be a reducer to 4" and then attach a 4" 45* 'wye' as the main body.
Off the 'wye' will be another 45* to come out 90* from main body. A section of this will be packed with either polyester fill or scotch brite pad type material to help reclaim water vapor. Of course fan to be mounted here.

Above the 'wye' will be a section about 16" of 4" PVC with a 4"-6" expander where the shower head will be mounted.

Taking airflow dynamics into mind I thought this increase in area would help create a high pressure area to help push hot air up/out the 'wye'.

Whatcha think?

And she's a BIG sucker. I do plan on shortening that neck about 8 inches... But that is also HUGE reservoir. 6"X14" to the fill port.

Attachments

• DSCN1595.JPG
    DSCN1595.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 406
If you ARE planning on making a bong cooler, heres a pic of mine

DSCF2613.jpg

If you look through this thread you can find pics of mine being made

BTW, this has been heavily modded since and now has a fillport and two fans

Yeah it's a bong cooler, just a different type of vent tube. Thats the only real modification.
I have the fan sucking air in through the top and out that off shoot instead of rising back up the main tube. I think it can help control the evaporation rate easier, along with dry fresh cool(er) air with the water falling.

(PS>) I did not notice all the computer parts in the background before (LOL)

So the fan off the side is sucking the moist air past it. I would think that much moisture would be bad for the fan.

zebkoolindc said:
So the fan off the side is sucking the moist air past it. I would think that much moisture would be bad for the fan.

Ahh but soon at the base of that 45* will be a series of rods that will hold some polyfill matting, acting as a filter/water catcher. Any excess water vapor will regroup/reform and puddle and flow to the base again. But as you will read todays test I may not even use a fan at all...

I tested it today and was VERY surprised. Without the fan even being on, just leak testing, it managed to actually form some condensation on the line to the pump, and about a foot or so after the output of the pump.

This happened after about 35-40 minutes of running... I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Ambient was about 68-71* No noticeable trace of vapor coming out the vent either. Some VERY cold air, but it did not manage to even wet a Kleenex at all...

I guess the longer you give the water to fall, the more water can evaporate increasing the cooling capability of the rig. Just need to watch water levels closer...

Last edited:
Poweredquest said:
Ahh but at the base of that 45* will be a series of rods that will hold some polyfill matting, acting as a filter/water catcher. Any excess water vapor will regroup/reform and puddle and flow to the base again.

NO!

That would fail miserably (no offense)

The water vapor is hot, because it sucked the heat out of its environment, so when it condenses, it will release the heat, causing incredible cooling innefficiency.. What you are suggesting is a perpetual motion device and is not allowed by conventional laws of science (mainly the conservation of energy law)

4od said:
NO!

That would fail miserably (no offense)

The water vapor is hot, because it sucked the heat out of its environment, so when it condenses, it will release the heat, causing incredible cooling innefficiency.. What you are suggesting is a perpetual motion device and is not allowed by conventional laws of science (mainly the conservation of energy law)

I am not putting the batting there to reclaim 100% of the water.
I am putting it there to help protect the fan from the spray.

I am not even expecting 10-15% of actual reclaim, but having it there will help the fan live longer.

Poweredquest said:
I am not putting the batting there to reclaim 100% of the water.
I am putting it there to help protect the fan from the spray.

I am not even expecting 10-15% of actual reclaim, but having it there will help the fan live longer.

Oooh.. my bad.
Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Actually, if that fan is blowing IN you'll get the best performance, and it will stay dry.
The secret is that the air counterflows the falling water, so each droplet is actually seeing faster airflow than if it were free falling in open air.
You might have to put a speed control on the fan though, because when you exceed terminal velocity, you'll blow the smaller water droplets out the top.

Put your scotchbrite pad in the top.
Filter the fan though to keep dust from getting into your water system and clogging things up (you'll wish you had if you don't).

I've so been wanting to build a bong again. Mine treated me so well for so long.

Last edited:
well I got my system together today, from presents...

Justa
Ath X2 5K+
2 gig XMS2 (6400)

Have the Ath pushing 3.120 right now with the bong cooler at a very balmy 39*C! (yes the balmy comment was a joke) With ambient at around 71*F I am not complaining at all.

Hell I must say I am impressed at how this is working, the exhaust air is a mere 42*C! the hoses are cold to the touch, I am happy.

I actually must admit with the bong right by the desk, and the seat not too far from the vent... I get down right chilly!

Diggrr said:
Actually, if that fan is blowing IN you'll get the best performance, and it will stay dry.
The secret is that the air counterflows the falling water, so each droplet is actually seeing faster airflow than if it were free falling in open air.
You might have to put a speed control on the fan though, because when you exceed terminal velocity, you'll blow the smaller water droplets out the top.

Put your scotchbrite pad in the top.
Filter the fan though to keep dust from getting into your water system and clogging things up (you'll wish you had if you don't).

I've so been wanting to build a bong again. Mine treated me so well for so long.
I have the fan sucking because of how large the shower head is. It just about takes up the entire opening at the top. I want to get a smaller one, but the temps I am seeing now I am happy. (if it ain't broke don't fix!)

I decided to change the position of the pump, and the air temp dropped to 36-37*C.
So I can only guess that that change was a very good one!

I also made a second one, but put in one of those S/S kitchen sink screens, the thing is virtually SILENT. I mean NO water fall sound at all!
If you use a 4" Schd 40 tube it fits perfectly at a wye/"T" joint!

Back