• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolant Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

war6763

Registered
Hey everyone!

I've got my WC rig up and running, but I was wondering what I should use as coolant. I've got straight distilled water in it now.

I've heard good things about antifreeze (20%) + Distilled water but i'm not sure that would too well.

I've also heard great things about Distilled water + Alcohol.

If anyone has some input on this, or some good experiences, I would greatly appreciate them!!

Water conductivity is sort of a big issue with me, but i'm willing to sacrifice a little conductivity if it gets the job done!!

Thanks!

Any where from 5% to 15% antifreeze is ok. If you have an all coper setup go with less antifreeze and if you have a mixed metal loop go heavier with the antifreeze.

I wouldnt do alcohol since it can eat through some plastics.

The coolant is used mostly to prevent corosion in your loop, so know what metals you are using. I use the red stuff, but I hate putting that stuff in my car even (always seems to gunk up) so I will be adding green when I flush my loop.

And most importantly DO NOT FORGET ANTI-ALGAE. A few drops of non-alcohol iodine works will to kill anything in your loop so you don't have any salad growing in your blocks.

If you have an all copper loop (no aluminum)...

99.?% distilled water
1-2 oz antifreeze
4-5 drops Povidone Iodine or Aquarium Algaecide (follow label directions)

so if I have 1 gallon of distilled water, (3,780 ml), I'd just add 567ml of antifreeze to the gallon of distilled water, right (567ml is 15% of 3780ml)? Also, I have some Povidone-Iodine and Algae Destroyer here. Just add a few drops of those into the mixture, right?

If you have aluminum parts in your WC loop you need that much anti-freeze, if not then 5% (~200ml) is plenty. For a one gallon mix I'd add 7-8 drops of iodine ...

Thanks bro for the fast reply... Well I have a Black Ice extreme and a Apogee block and a Swiftech 650 pump... any Aluminum in that combo? Would it hurt to add a little extra antifreeze just in case? I have some prestone (the big yellow container)- will that be ok?

SuperDave1685 said:
Thanks bro for the fast reply... Well I have a Black Ice extreme and a Apogee block and a Swiftech 650 pump... any Aluminum in that combo? Would it hurt to add a little extra antifreeze just in case? I have some prestone (the big yellow container)- will that be ok?
All brass and copper so there won't be any galvanic corrosion, which is the biggest concern, so 5% is plenty.

I wouldn't add any more anti-freeze than necessary, anti-freeze doesn't transfer heat very well and it's more viscous, too, which means the more you add the less flow you have - another loss of heat transfer. A lot of guys add only a smidgen (see SiGfever's post) if any at all because of the bad side effects. And the iodine is what keeps the algae at bay, not the anti-freeze ... :)

Back