• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what the hell is this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluesmap

Registered
is this a real desktop or is it photoshopped?
looks unreal and quite frankly i dont know if its windows or linux or desktop x or what.

any insight would be helpful.

beryl-emerald.png

that is an image of the Gnome DM, however id agree that particular image is photoshoped BUT there actualy is an aplication that you can get for KDE that allows you to use up to 6 virtual desktops that are rendered to an opengl cube that allow you to strech around the desktops or drag between them. very cool when combind with a touchscreen because you can fly between Virtual desktops and get alot of work done and the strechy windows can be used effectivly if you only need the data on a small portion of the oposing window.

ssjwizard said:
that is an image of the Gnome DM, however id agree that particular image is photoshoped BUT there actualy is an aplication that you can get for KDE that allows you to use up to 6 virtual desktops that are rendered to an opengl cube that allow you to strech around the desktops or drag between them. very cool when combind with a touchscreen because you can fly between Virtual desktops and get alot of work done and the strechy windows can be used effectivly if you only need the data on a small portion of the oposing window.

i dont understand KDE???
whts that stand for

This is not photoshopped. This is a screenshot of Compiz - or a compiz derivative, such as Beryl. Compiz is a 3D window manager for Linux. It does not replace the windowing system (xorg, X11, AIGLX, etc.), nor does it replace the desktop environment (KDE, Gnome).

I use Beryl on my Fedora Core partition. It's pretty neat, although I'm not sure if it's really practical.

Search youtube.com for "beryl" or "compiz" for some examples of this in action.

it is true

class mate from college uses debian with what he said was a hacked vista kernal or something to get it to do that.

cliffboss said:
it is true

class mate from college uses debian with what he said was a hacked vista kernal or something to get it to do that.

Wow. Probaby not an expert Debian user. That assertion is just silly.

This is as far removed from Vista as can be. Compiz is an accelerated window manager that uses OpenGL to render the desktop and windows.

Compiz:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fCompiz

Beryl (Compiz fork):

http://www.beryl-project.org

EDIT: I'd like to add that Beryl (and compiz) look much better on decent hardware with AA/AF enabled.

humm interesting i didnt know that beryl could do the 3dcube in that way. the last i looked at i think was compiz or something that predated it running with KDE(the K Desktop Enviroment for those who dont know) in the manner i described above where the cube filled the full screen rather than the simulated cube thats shown above.

Back