• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alternative to smartcoils

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

i need a easy to find alternative to smartcoils/coolsleeves.ive looked at homedepot/hardware store and couldnt find anything that looked like it would work without making the bends impossible.i need something asap as i really dont want to wait for it to ship.i need my rig!lol so im wondering what some of you may use in replacement of smartcoils?pics would be great.thx in advance!

i havent either but im trying to cool the nb on this mb and the bends are pretty extreme.its flattening the tubing out :( i may just go cpu-gpu-nb-rad and call it good.the bends arent nearly as severe going that route.i just dont want the flattening to occur later on down the road either way.ive thought about grabbing some wire and trying that but im not sure if itll stay tight without pinching the tubing.i think ill try that tomorrow maybe.

I remember a while back someone bought these chrome rings from a hardware store that matched the size of the tubing. The rings were just put on the part where the bend was needed and presto. I couldn't find the thread on my initial search but I will keep looking. Until then you could just try zip-ties.

Could you use a copper 90 elbow? and strech the tubing arround that?
It seems to be a lot less restrictive than your standward barbed fittings.

I would think do that or try and find some rings to put arround the tubing to keep it from bending... but thats something feorign to me, and ive never done it.

I had problems getting cool sleves to fit my tubes some one recomended a kind of metal spring, but I never tried it out.

well i tried the zip ties and i still had flattening so i guess ill go without the nb block :( oh well.i guess a aftermarket hsf will have to do.thanks for the help gents!

Honestly, the Coolsleeves aren't all that expensive, and they really work well. I bought three packs expecting to use them all, but one pack spaced out carefully was sufficient for my system.

RadRacer said:
Honestly, the Coolsleeves aren't all that expensive, and they really work well. I bought three packs expecting to use them all, but one pack spaced out carefully was sufficient for my system.

your right they are inexpensive but ive got to get my rig up and running lol.ill grab some the next time i drain the loop and give the nb another try.

Just get some 14ga solid copper wire and wrap it around the tubing. Don't even need to disassemble and you can choose your insulation color.

yeah the coolsleeve rings look awesome in the see through blue, but i forgot to buy more of them when i went from 3/8 to 1/2 tubing, needless to say the 3/8 sleeves dont fit 1/2" tubing. :(

My loop is just neon green water now :(

Might have to bling it up at some stage ^_^

i was initially going to do that but on this mb the 16x slot is right next to the nb :( so its actually a tighter bend than from the cpu.so either way ive got to get from the nb to the gpu with a really hard bend.
so there goes my quest for nb cooling for now.if i can find some type of pvc C bend that will ease the strain on the tubing i may give it another shot.

^^^So paint them with clear coat...or any color you choose.
Just stretch them out a tad with a weight so you can spray in between coils.

I've recommended copper wire before, and it's worked for me in the past. The hot (black) one stripped from a piece of romex 12 gage worked fine.
Take a tape measure with you to also find a piece of rigid tubing that's the same OD as your tubing for a bending form, or you can do it in place on your tubing, though it's hard to handle and get the coils uniform.

Last edited:
it has nothing to do with the bends touching stuff while the pc is running,

but your bound to move the pipes around to put in new hardware or something, and it wouldnt surprise me if they hold a nice charge considering its metal coils wrapped around uncoductive plastic with air and dust blowing a nice new supply of electrons over it.....

i wouldnt want metal coils anywhere near my delicate electronics while installing/removing hardware, or moving the tubing thanks.

Back