• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSpaint WTF??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

Ok for some reason MS paint is using over 1gb of my memory when i take a screen capture form the web and try to save it, it says there is not enough memory. prior to opening paint my PF usage is 238mb but when paint opens it jumps up too 1.51gb. wtf is going on here. i cant save any screen captures either.

Something is very wrong. Paint is not a memory hog, but a very simple program. On my system it uses just over 5,000KB of RAM when opened. You may have a problem with your windows installation as there is no way paint should use that much memory ever.

Does this only happen with mspaint and not other programs? You may want to try replacing its executable, or failing that, attempt a repair install. Other than that the only thing I can think of is using something like paint.net/ GIMP / or photoshop if you have it instead of paint.

1680x1050x32@75hz. But i dont even have to have a picture even in paint and it uses over 600mb of ramm hell i can open paint and type my name in and its using 650mb of ram! Never had this problem before i take screenshots in games and save them now if i open paint and i dont even put anything in it and close it it says theres not enough memory to close it!

When you have Paint open, what is the size of the blank canvas (Image -> Attributes)? I think Paint reserves the memory for the entire canvas, so if you have a spectacularly huge area it could take up quite a bit of room. 700MB would be on the order of 15000x15000 pixels.

JigPu

Thank you so much jigpu. After reading you post i decided to open up paint with a blank canvas and check the image attributes, well low and behold the attributes were at 16800x10500. i guess when i changed the attributes last time i typed 1 too many zeros.

I was inspired by this to bump my canvas space in paint up to 15000x15000 pixels and it was running at around 120MB... lotsa white space.

Back