• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965P DS3 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daxster

Hey I have a couple of questions that I can't find answer to at Gigabyte. Hope you guys can help.

1: Anyone know why during XP setup, XP setup only recognized 130 of my 160 GB hard disk :bang head ? I have not even gotten to the format screen yet. This is right after you press the F8 key for the license agreement.

2: I do not have a raid setup (just one drive), which SATA controller do you guys recommend on this board?

3: My CPU is running 39-40 idle, is this normal? I have an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. In my opinion it does not fit as firmly on my CPU as I like.

4: My 965 chipset heatsink gets really hot :mad: , I mean you can not tolerate it if you touch it for more than 2 seconds. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.:beer:

1) No clue
2) I use the intel SATA ports. (I think they are the purple ones)
3) Not sure, as I don't know about that CPU cooler
4) This is normal. They should have actively cooled these nb's. Slap a fan on it and be happy.

The artic freezer 7 pro is an awesome cooler. I did not notice mine not fitting firmly but as long as the 4 connectors are in the MB properly you should be fine. I read so many positive reviews for the cooler that it was an easy choice.

I've used both SATA port types and havnt really noticed a differance, although I havnt HDtached it on this setup. I have a SATA'd DVD on the same SATA chipset and neither slow down when in use. However, my USB on mine recently started going on the fritz, and it has always been a little bit unstable (nothing overclocked). Also, I have noticed on mine that the North and South bridges have gotten hotter over time (while idling) by a noticable amount. Before it wouldnt get very hot at all and now it is noticably warmer. Everything has stayed the same. I fear that my board may be going down RMA Lane.

Last edited:
daxster said:
Hey I have a couple of questions that I can't find answer to at Gigabyte. Hope you guys can help.

1: Anyone know why during XP setup, XP setup only recognized 130 of my 160 GB hard disk :bang head ? I have not even gotten to the format screen yet. This is right after you press the F8 key for the license agreement.

2: I do not have a raid setup (just one drive), which SATA controller do you guys recommend on this board?

3: My CPU is running 39-40 idle, is this normal? I have an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. In my opinion it does not fit as firmly on my CPU as I like.

4: My 965 chipset heatsink gets really hot :mad: , I mean you can not tolerate it if you touch it for more than 2 seconds. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.:beer:

1. XP SP2 is required for it to see more than 130 gb on a hard drive.

2. Plug you drive into the Gigabyte Sata II controller.

3. What cpu do you have?

4. Put a 40mm fan on it. Screw it in with two screws into the fins in the heatsink and it will be much better.

jph1589 said:

3. What cpu do you have?

4. Put a 40mm fan on it. Screw it in with two screws into the fins in the heatsink and it will be much better.

So you just bought a 40mm fan and it screwed right on? Can you elaborate a little?

Thanks,
Shane

It applys preasure from bending out the fins that the screws are pushing against sideways and holds the fan in place, I've seen guys do this on other finned HS's as well.

You might want to consider taking the northbrige heatsink off, cleaning up the stock TIM and putting on some AS5 or other good aftermarket TIM.

You also might want to check the heat on your power regulating fets (around the CPU socket) if your overclocking that netburst chip in your sig. You can cut up old passive CPU heatsinks to cool those if they need it.

btw.. you have about 20C worth of headroom on your CPU temps (~61C load on the celeron's IIRC) you can check your CPU's thermal spec. at http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx
in other words go for 5Ghz ;) :sn:

don't pay any attention to warnings about my advice being too "hard core".. its just exageration :p

Last edited:
actually

krazyshane said:
So you just bought a 40mm fan and it screwed right on? Can you elaborate a little?

Thanks,
Shane
I bought a cheapy coolermaster nb cooler and took the led fan off of it. If you hold the fan up to the NB and turn it clockwise about 30 degrees you can get two screws to go in between the fins in the heatsink. I would show you a pic, but my board is being rma'd due to that sucky F8 bios that they put out for testing a few weeks ago. Maybe I have an old picture....I'll look. There I found one. This was before I put my water cooling on and there was just enough room to put it on next to my Scythe Katana.

DSC00377.JPG

Thanks a lot both of you for the clarification. I know i didn't need any NB cooling w/ my celeron because it's only running a mere 211 fsb (love the 19x multiplier lol).

I am curious because I just got an E6600 for christmas (the celly was always a temp)... So now i'll actually be pushing the fsb some :) I'll post up some results etc when I get back to Austin. (I'm visiting parents now).

Shane

greenmaji said:
btw.. you have about 20C worth of headroom on your CPU temps (~61C load on the celeron's IIRC) you can check your CPU's thermal spec. at http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx
in other words go for 5Ghz ;) :sn:

don't pay any attention to warnings about my advice being too "hard core".. its just exageration :p

Read my post above about soon dropping in an E6600, but the thermal spec on a Celly D 326 is 67.7*C :)

Shane

Question

What happened to the guy who started this thread? It got hijacked and we didn't even realize it.

jph1589 said:

3. What cpu do you have?

Thanks for the reply.

1: I install XP SP1 and that did th ework. I did not know I still have an original XP san service pack.

2: I meant to say which controller do you prefer, the Intel or Gigabyte? Sorry for the confusion.

3: Core 2 Duo E6600 not overclocked.

4: Yeah, I'm going to put a fan as soon as I get one.

Thanks again for all the reply.

Also, anyone has a BFG 7950 GT OC. Mines run around 59 degree. Not sure if this is ok or too hot.:beer:

Back