• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New windows XP pro install problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squads

I have a copy of XP pro which I got a few years ago through my school. It has a valid CD key, which I have used several times with new builds/re-installs. The issue with this copy is it doesn't have SP1 or SP2. It is the original build of XP, so it won't recognize HDD partitions larger than 128gb (I think that is the number).

I just bought a 2nd 74gig Raptor to RAID with my other one, so its going to be a 148gb partition, which I will use for my OS drive. I'm sure you can see my problem at this point. I have a SP2 CD, but I still have to format a smaller partition to install windows in the first place. This wasn't a problem in the past with larger single HDD's, since there was no issue with creating a smaller partition on the drive. I want this RAID array to be one solid block though and I am under the impression that partitioning a RAID array might not even be possible.

The easiest solution would seem to be finding a copy of just the XP Pro w/SP2 media, one without a key (since I allready have one and don't want to drop $140 on the media+key). Does anyone know if you can just buy the media anywhere. I've been looking around but haven't had any luck.

OK do this, set the drives up in bios how you want them as far as raid goes. Use the cd that came with the hard drives and setup the hard drives. when it comes to the screen to select the OS check windows xp after you do that to the right it will have another box that says w/SP1 or greater, check that one and continue. MS will ask if you are sure the OS supports drives larger than 137gb just click yes and format. after this is done you are ready to install windows, make sure you have your raid drivers ready for windows when it asks. All i have is a xp pro vanilla disk and i can run as much drive space as i want with doing the following steps i mentioned.

Or, you could just do a Slipstream install of SP2 into your current Disc and burn the new disc to install with. There is a frontpage article stating how to do the slipstream, also you may look here in the forums, as I think there are a few guides here as well.

thanks for the tip bchur, I found the slipstream sticky and I'm trying it out now. Wish I had seen that 2 years ago...

Back