• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this enough cooling, water nub

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trenchdog73

Registered
Well after helping or basically installing a thermal take kit for my uncle I decided to go hop into the water. This is my first dive into water cooling and I just wanted to know if these rads and pump would provide enough cooling. First my setup is a e6600 with 2x1900 in crossfire. Im probly just going to run a cpu loop at first so I can afford not to skimp on components and then pick up my gpu blocks in a couple weeks. I havent decided on if I should cool the nb yet. I also havent decided between these two rads http://www.svc.com/rad-3430.html, http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermochill-...3-pr-3264.html, But Im thinking this pump http://www.svc.com/mcp655.html. I also Would like to mount my rad externally as my crossfire setup doesnt really leave much extra room in my thermaltake armor case... some but I dont think enough, does this usually lead to any problems? How much diff does the wall thickness of tubing make? Im sorry if im reasking any question, but I have been reading and reading and reading now my head hurts lol. Thanks for any help.
td
P.S. I do oc

First off WELCOME!!!

Alrighty, Personally I would go with the MCP655 for a pump like you suggested. I would go with the PA120.3, although I am not sure how tight of a fit that is in the armor. As for a CPU block I would have to suggest something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835108080 as it provides great performance and doesn't drop your flow rates much. Its also cheaper than a Storm. Don't bother with cooling the nb unless you really want to but don't expect it to help much in terms of temps.

As for the X1900's I am going to have to suggest these blocks for your crossfire http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/produ...d=112&osCsid=1594f83a2ce67de65284d5276c739c12 They are really good performance and not too bad of price (once the conversion is done). As for tubing size I would say that 7/16" or 1/2" would be the way to go but that is my opinion. I hope that all this helps and I am sure people will drop in with their recommendations as well

~jtjuska

Do you like DIY?? because if you want to start moving things outside the case... You can waste TONS of time doing a DIY external enclosure for your box.

Parts list sounds alright so far. Good luck with teh water cooling :D

MCP655 is a great pump! Can't comment on the radiator - I'm a heater core kinda' guy. :)

No problems with a top-mount radiator. You'll need to get the radiator ~2" off the case top w/stand-offs or something (I made some brackets for mine) then mount the fans on top of the rad blowing up in a "pull" configuration. Fans guards are optional but recommended. The popular choice is to run the tubing through the case top. I mounted my rad so the inlet/outlet hangs over the back edge then ran the tubing through the lower back of the case. Since my case has no window I mounted the T-line externally, too.

Sleepy_Steve said:
Do you like DIY?? because if you want to start moving things outside the case... You can waste TONS of time doing a DIY external enclosure for your box.

Parts list sounds alright so far. Good luck with the water cooling :D
You don't have to make an external box, though I agree it looks much better. :) Mine looks ghetto as 7734 but performs well ...

Last edited:

Thats my Armor case with a 3x120 Black ice extreem 3 .
In the front I have the Power button , then my DVDrw then my rad then @ teh bottom my Fan controler ( i took out the tray with the black holding compartment)

Nice, just add another gfx card and then a sound card underneath and thats what im looking at. Dont think I can fit the pump there but I will move it forward some. The case has good airflow but I think i still want to mount the raid externally, well see though. Im pretty handy with a mig and metal So I might make an enclosure and mount it. I would like to keep the budget under 300, but cheaper always is better as long as the performance is there. Not that I wouldnt go more but Im telling my self this to try to prevent me going crazy on it lol. My main concern is that the system can handle the heat being dumped into it by the cpu and gpus... I might even go nb later but not really a necessity.

The ones in that pic are pulling I have 3 cheep led 120mm's pushing from the front ( doesnt really affect the temps more for a blue glow they give off to match my case) I also like the fact that it give really good air flow over the MB

The Fans pulling off the rad back into the case doesnt put the heat back on the components? sorry if its a nub question

That is actually the way my loop is setup. I have 3 fans pushing air through the radiator and 3 fans pulling it through, also the temp of the air coming off the radiator isn't enough to matter as far as heating up other components.

Edit, this may help... Ill update tonight with a better pic (although the loop is disassembled at the moment)

1215061900tj3hn7.jpg

~jtjuska

Last edited:
It does add a bit of extra heat but I dont have any tools ( i just moved acrost the country ) beside a screw driver so I didnt have any way of mounting out side the case . Now that I have it in there and it all works fine I dont think I will bother mounting it out side .

thats a clean mount, I might actually think of attempting it, I just wanted to make sure that the heat kicking back inthe case wasnt a problem for the non water cooled items like the ram, vga ram, nb/sb.

I've measured the temps from front and back of my double rads and there's only a 2°F difference. One rad would probably be higher but can't be by much - plenty cool for most air-cooled components ...

Last edited:
Well, people like quiet ice and myself went the heater core route. I personaly didnt mind doing that.
I had enough MDF sitting in my garage to make my entire box.

A heater core is prolly the cheapest route when it comes to rad's though. I payed $53 with tax for my two. -- As for how they preform, ask QuietIce... I have yet to make my loop cool a computer.

You can see my WC stuff in the second page of This Thread.

Too bad i cant say how one tripple rad compares to another... all i know is that the PA 120.3 seems to be the favorite arround here -- For whatever reason.

I like the PA120.3 because it lines up perfectly with my case and I didn't have to worry about modding the beaute of a case.

~jtjuska

a thermalchill pa 120.3 is the best radiator you can buy, but the problem is that its expensive as hell.

the mcr320 is the best bang for your buck, just 2 or 3c,but probably less than the thermachill but its a lot less expensive. i got it after lots of research and i love it.

if you have the money get the thermal chill, but if you wanna save money the mcr320 is just as good.

darkcow said:
a thermalchill pa 120.3 is the best radiator you can buy, but the problem is that its expensive as hell.

the mcr320 is the best bang for your buck, just 2 or 3c,but probably less than the thermachill but its a lot less expensive. i got it after lots of research and i love it.

if you have the money get the thermal chill, but if you wanna save money the mcr320 is just as good.

X2, I wouldnt recommend going with the pa 120.3 now that i look at the price difference (at the time i got mine i didn't care, it was order what will work for my applications and forget the costs, lol) So I will have to back up darkcow in this one and say get the MCR320

~jtjuska

Back