• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe - Stand By in Windows XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tovarish

Registered
OKay, so I almost give up :bang head:

Last night after messing around with bios settings (it always happens when one messes around :rolleyes: ) to achieve 3.2GHz and 1:1 memory ratio on computer in my sig. but with everything stock - decided to go back as temps were around 56-58 idle and north bridge was hot to my hand.

Later on I noted that when I put my system into a "stand by" mode - it does not shut off power supply and fans (and it it used to this before, being 100% quiet when asleep).

Instead, it looks as it shuts off HDDs and Video but CPU fan and PSU are alive, fans are spinning, and lights are on - just too noisy to sleep by it.

I tried various settings in bios and windows. Reboots and re-tries. Eventually even loaded default settings for bios (btw v. 0804)
everything stock.. no luck.

I can swear that I read about this problem month or two before somewhere - searched for a second evening and cannot find that post.

Anyone ?

S_Wilson said:
Did you try hibernate? It may do what you want.

Hmm, just tried - went into power settings: enabled hybernation.

From a task manager selected Hybernate option.
1. It took longer to suspend system (writing all of sys state to disk?)
2. It takes long to power up - at least 50%, 60% of boot time to restore state.

Stand By was almost instant for me - hit "Sleep" on keyboard - machine is quiet in 10 -15 seconds - no activity/noise of any kind. Upon spacebar, power button (whichever you config is), machine is up and running in 10-15 seconds as well..... ah.. but something had to change somewhere..

I apologize, I didn't read the first post close enough. It worked but after experimenting you can't get the suspend to work like before.

Try this;
In bios, go to "Power" then on "Suspend Mode" select "S3 Only" and that should fix it.

S1 will leave the power supply running and Auto chooses whatever it wants. If that doesn't fix it then there may have been something damaged in the OS.

S_Wilson said:
I apologize, I didn't read the first post close enough. It worked but after experimenting you can't get the suspend to work like before.
No worries at all - try and learn is the key :)

S_Wilson said:
Try this;
In bios, go to "Power" then on "Suspend Mode" select "S3 Only" and that should fix it.
S1 will leave the power supply running and Auto chooses whatever it wants. If that doesn't fix it then there may have been something damaged in the OS.
This has fixed thie problem, setting was on Auto before and once switched back to S3 everything is back to normal - thanks and greatly appreciate it!

Back