• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get rid of Windows media player?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

I want to use Media player classic exclusively and I have it set up almost exactly how I like it except for one thing. I can't get it to become my default program for when I double click on my disc drive. I got it so I can right click on the drive with the dvd in it and select autoplay by checking the autoplay boxes in the Media player classic options and I got it to autoplay discs upon inserting them into the player but for some reason no matter how many times I remove standard windows media player from add\remove programs\windows components it keeps coming back when I double left click on the movie drive. I checked back with the list of installed windows components and the media player box is still unchecked as if it wasn't there, despite the fact that I just saw it playing my movie. WTF?!?!!??!!

In Media player classic, go to view and options. Then click the formats. Hit the Video button and it should make media player classic the default player for all video.

Try removing/deleting the windows media player program files, after you remove it through the add remove windows components.

^^^^^
Even if you can do this, the files will generally be written back in upon reboot thanks to windows file protection [Note: WFP is NOT easy to disable in SP2, but it can be done]. Anyway, you can't really get rid of windows media player without using nlite and a reinstall.

However, you can edit the default autoplay behavior in XP for DVD video allowing you to select media player classic to open by default when you insert a dvd into your dvd drive(s).

Setting MPC as default in its options will work for everything besides autorun (cds/dvds), but editing the default autoplay behavior will finish the job for what you want to do.

Last edited:
grumperfish said:
^^^^^
Even if you can do this, the files will generally be written back in upon reboot thanks to windows file protection [Note: WFP is NOT easy to disable in SP2, but it can be done]. Anyway, you can't really get rid of windows media player without using nlite and a reinstall.

However, you can edit the default autoplay behavior in XP for DVD video allowing you to select media player classic to open by default when you insert a dvd into your dvd drive(s).

Setting MPC as default in its options will work for everything besides autorun (cds/dvds), but editing the default autoplay behavior will finish the job for what you want to do.

I've also been trying this autoplay trick, but it didn't work. so i've always used not to autoplay DVD or CD. I think the better way is to choose the default program to launch the file by pressing right mouse button on file -> open with... -> choose program - > and check "Always use the selected program......... "

It is my sugguestion :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I finally got it pretty much how I like it. I just went into normal windows media player options and unchecked all the boxes that pertain(?) to the different media types which the program is to be used for. Then I went into media player classic and did the opposite and checked all the media type boxes. I also checked all the autoplay boxes and the "Launch files in fullscreen" box. Now when I double left click on the dvd drive it opens the disc and shows "AudioTS" and "VideoTS" folders. Then I just go into the VideoTS folder and double left click on the topmost file and it plays the whole movie. Granted I have to go in a couple levels unlike standard media player but no big deal. You can also right click on the drive and click on "PlayDVDMovie" and it starts right up. Also, movies now autoplay in fullscreen without additional action upon inserting the disc in the drive. I'm good to go. Thanks again for all the advice people:)

Back