• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 Bit Drivers in bulk anytime soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

I'm curious with the release of Vista next month I guess...they are as from what I understand it going to offer both 32 & 64 bit versions of Vista on each disk. And there is XP 64 bit etc already out... Yet 64 bit drivers & support is slim to none, or what there is for 64 bit is pretty poor from what I've read.

I'd like to try out 64 bit but just can't see doing it at this time b/c of the driver issues...I wouldn't be able to do 95% or more of what I do on my pc at this time.

So anyway anyone have any idea when this will be more widely accepted & supported?

Another thing I've thought about are the average users who are not all that technically litterate getting vista & thinking oh wow & then trying to install it on top of what they have & then installing 64 bit by mistake or b/c they don't under stand what it is & then it for all intents & purposes blowing up their system as they can't use anything with it.lol

I would think any recent equipment would be released with 64 bit drivers. Equipment manufacturers KNOW that Vista is coming and so will need to have 64 bit drivers to stay competitive.

It will be like with XP 5 or 6 years ago. Driver support will be poor for older hardware but as time goes on the newer hardware will have 64bit drivers available.

Really I would think after 6-12months the only issues will be with obscure and/or older hardware. Early adopters will always have obstacles but they pave the way for the rest to follow.

Back