• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting article on Kaspersky AV products

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2074772,00.asp?kc=EWEWEMNL121806EP24A

Interesting snippets:

Interestingly, Microsoft resells Kaspersky's anti-virus scanner to enterprise customers as part of Forefront's multiscanner strategy. The Kaspersky anti-virus kernel is also integrated into products sold by a range of IT vendors, including Aladdin Knowledge Systems, Nokia ICG, F-Secure, G Data Software, Deerfield.com, Alt-N Technologies, MicroWorld Technologies and BorderWare Technologies.

Eugene Kaspersky said he sees the enemy as being the sophisticated malware writer who is very familiar with the way anti-virus software works. "They know about anti-virus technologies and they're developing new ways to bypass the protection software. Sometimes, when I look at the volume of threats we are detecting, I think we are losing this cat-and-mouse game," he said.

Another improvement, [in the new kaspersky security suite] Grebennikov said, is the addition of rootkit detection and removal to the software. He said new proactive detection technology will block hidden objects such as stealth rootkits, keystroke loggers, buffer overflow attacks, data execution attacks and backdoors that turn infected machines into zombies in botnets.

"These integrated threats are the scariest. Any time you find malware that's using rootkit techniques to hide, you have to get really nervous. Some of these threats are very, very sophisticated," Grebennikov said.

During the press tour in Moscow, Kaspersky was bombarded with questions about Microsoft's emergence as a legitimate security vendor—with Windows OneCare for consumers and the Forefront line of products for the enterprise—but there was no visible sign of fear among the company's employees.

"What do you expect us to do? Just throw up our hands and say we should shut down because Microsoft is a competitor?" asked Natalya Kaspersky, the company's chief executive. "We can't sit back and be afraid. We have to work harder and get better at what we do. Everything else will take care of itself."

eaglescouter said:

You know if Microshaft bought Kaspersky and used them for the Vista Windows OneCare, I would use Onecare. Naturally Gov't regulators may not approve a deal like that, but all anti virus manufacturers are horrified Microsoft is offering Onecare, time will tell how good it is, but imho, Kaspersky has their act together and they are #1 in their field.

Even though I'm using Norton Internet Security 2006 suite, I'll be the first to tell you Kaspersky puts out a better product.
I had serious problems with Nortons 2005 and they gave me a free year of Nortons 2006 (Which has been working flawless, unlike Nortons 2005 which was a steamy hot pile of dung. Soon as this 2006 expires it's Kaspersky for me, but I will watch Onecare and see what people say.

Back