• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2-Prem won't see SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
I'm trying to install a new hdd, a Maxtor 160Gb SATA2 Hdd, the motherboard isn't seeing it.

SATA cable is connected to SATA #3 on the mobo.
Old hdd is an ATA 10 gb. :-/

I went thru the BIOS and didn't see anything I should reset....

Um, Am I missing something here?

In bios, do you have the SATA Configuration set to either "enhanced" or "compatible"?

I know at some point there was a problem with Maxtor SATA II drives and Intel boards but I can't remember what the problem was although it was something to do with the drives firmware. ???

It has been a while since I had one of those boards so I am going off my memory.

On the first bios screen there should be "IDE Configuration" and once in there you should have "Configure SATA" where you can set "Standard IDE", "Raid" or "AHCI". Right under that is where you can set enhanced or compatible. Is this where you are seeing SATA/Raid or disabled?

S_Wilson said:
It has been a while since I had one of those boards so I am going off my memory.

On the first bios screen there should be "IDE Configuration" and once in there you should have "Configure SATA" where you can set "Standard IDE", "Raid" or "AHCI". Right under that is where you can set enhanced or compatible. Is this where you are seeing SATA/Raid or disabled?

Yes, that is all under the Advanced Tab / IDE Config

also under the Silicon 3132 Controler, it's selected for SATA2, options are SATA2/RAID/Disabled. (different tab.)

No, the ICH7R stuff should not be in the Advanced tab, it should be located;

Main >> IDE Configuration.

That is the first page towards the bottom, last entry before "System Information"

Just moved SATA cable to SATA 1 position on the board.

Running Power Max from CD, now. See what that says. :shrug:

Doing a low level format agin on it now.

EDIT: actually, I think this mobo might have some sort of glitch in it.
I have had several misc. probs with it.

Last edited:
Sorry buddy, I think we may be in two different places in the bios or I don't remember that board as well as I thought. :) So bios does not see the drive but Power Max does?

BIOS sees it as 3rd boot device, well, b4 I moved it to the SATA 1 port.

but doesn't allow me to configure it as a boot drive.

Ok, so bios does see the drive. How do you mean configure it as a boot drive? If it is showing in the boot priority menu then it should be bootable and movable on the priority list.

After doing a lo lvl format, it now shows up in the Boot Menu and I am able to choose which device to boot from 1st. :bang head

I'll let ya know if it all works out. - looks good so far.

Thanks Mr Wilson. :)

I pulled the drive, installed into my AMD box.

It's installing winderz right now just fine.

I think the Intel mobo has a problem with it.

Could be a problem with the board. I also remember something about Maxtor SATA II having an issue with some boards due to firmware. Hmmm, I will try and find what it was a little later.

Found what I was thinking about with Maxtor SATA II firmware problem, it had to do with Nforce 4 based mobo's.

Just for clarification, this pic shows where I was trying to go in bios

Attachments

• P5WD2_01.jpg
    P5WD2_01.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 65
oh, well, on this board, the Config SATA as: is listed else where...

Adv tab I beleive. but the choices are the same.

On the IDE Config, I'll have to check it in the AM tomorrow & see whats under it when I click to / on it.

I think the mobo has a problem with it too.

I even have tried installing WinME on a 10 gigr and it wouldn't work.
(PATA drive too) so it's gotta be something with the board.

That figures. I actually went and downloaded the manual for your board from Asus to get those pics. :shrug: Typical Asus to print one thing and do another, lol.

I have seen some clear up issues lately by doing a good bios reset with clrtc jumper and removing the battery. Some have gone as far as to reflash the bios. Might be worth a shot. I hope you get it working, I know how important projects can be. Good luck. :)

Back