• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo on budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dirtyp

Registered
I might need a new mobo, I think mine burnt out im going to send it back and see if they will fix it.. Not sure if my proccesor is gone so im trying not to spend too much...

My budget is under $80 what you reccomend?

I have p4 520 2.8 800 fsb.. ddr2 1gb 533... x850xt pci-e....
2 ata harddrives... dvd burner and cd burner....

also was thinking of getting this psu some people reccomend it??.. HEC Orion Power 585watt not sure if it has pci-e..

Is that sata or pata hard drives? Are you going to be overclocking it?

old drives pata I believe, upgrading is more important then ocing

Well to make things easier, let me know which chipset the mobo had of if possible the mobo model that way when you put it back you wouldn't have to reinstall windows, you might have to activate it again though.

Why not just replace it with the same board? it will be less of a hassle and Asrock makes quality boards.

was thinking of that at first, theres little things I dont like, one of the main things is it cant take a lot of volts.
1. pci-e x16 is realy x4, so it bottlenecks my card
2. agp can only take 1.5 volt cards, limits agp choices
3. 2 memory slots and only 2gb max
4. 1 pci-e stops me from sli or crossfire
5. mine fried in less then a month
6. one fan connector not that big of a deal can run them from power
7. only supports 4 ide drives
8. limited memory choices only 1.8 v

reasons I like it
1. cheap 55 bucks
2. supports conroe
3. ddr2
4. agp or pci-e
5. 4 pci slots
6. has sata

Im in the procces of trying to rma my board so theres a chance they will replace it if not screw asrock and smk.

I'm not trying to be rude but why would you want a budget modo and xfire or sli. Dual video cards normally only have a 20% preformance increase and you are paying $200+ for an extra card.

Unless you are crazy about FPS or benchmarking two cards are pointless.

With a good modo you could get better overclocks on your cpu,ram and video card, which would increace preformence over all.

the only mobo you will find that for under $80 that have 2 pci-e slots are low quality.

I looked on the egg and found nothing in you price range I would recommend.

I just like having the options to do it,
for example I could have bought two 7600gs for 99 after rebates.
instead I bought a 850 xt for 109.

On the bechmarks the xt is better on most games but with two gs they should out peform the single xt and it would be the same price...

Its not realy that big of a factor in my descion I care more about extra memory slots and a true x16....

Here is the thing, having 1.5agp is a good thing as that was the latest spec 8x 1.5v, the one before that was 3.3 I think and only supports old cards no reason to want one really. And Even if your pci-e slot is running at 4x you wouldn't be bottlenecked because your card doesn't need more then that, also I think there is something wrong because a graphics slot should always run at either 8x or 16x. If you are complaining about only being able to use only 4 pata drives at a time, well if you get a board with Intel chipset you will only be able to have two pata drives, but you would have more sata connectors available.

You are paying for a budget board and that is what you are going to get, it takes more work and material to make a good overclocker therefore they are more expensive. Just to let you know if the new board is of a different chipset you'll probably have to reinstall windows.

that looks kinda good I found out it will cost me $36 to send my mobo,cpu back to the vendor I bought it from.. Thats if they tell me to send it in the tower..... Find out tommorow...

For a few dollars more I can get this board, I have 533 mem will that work since its 667 standard?? It should be backwards compatable...

Im a little wary about connectors I used a old 2 4pin molex to pci-e to hook my card up and then it wouldnt turn on no more.. I suspect there wouldnt be much difference between pata and sata..

Im worried about sending my pc back and having them not fix it and try to get out the warranty. Ill be ****ed if I spend that on shipping I have bad history with warrantys.

You don't have to send the case afaik, sometimes they will request for the whole computer to be sent if it s a problem they can't replicate, but I've only heard of that being done once. I don't know about intel so I'll wait to see if the guys here can help while i do some research.

dirtyp said:
was thinking of that at first, theres little things I dont like, one of the main things is it cant take a lot of volts.
1. pci-e x16 is realy x4, so it bottlenecks my card
2. agp can only take 1.5 volt cards, limits agp choices
3. 2 memory slots and only 2gb max
4. 1 pci-e stops me from sli or crossfire
5. mine fried in less then a month
6. one fan connector not that big of a deal can run them from power
7. only supports 4 ide drives
8. limited memory choices only 1.8 v

reasons I like it
1. cheap 55 bucks
2. supports conroe
3. ddr2
4. agp or pci-e
5. 4 pci slots
6. has sata

Im in the procces of trying to rma my board so theres a chance they will replace it if not screw asrock and smk.

1) As far as the limited PCIe adapter it is true that it only runs at 4x, but that won't bottleneck that card.
2) If you have a PCIe card then why do you need to worry about the AGP portion of it.
3) 2 memory slots is a nice trade off if you start your build with DDR instead of DDR2 like I did.
4) There are a plethora of reasons that this board wouldn't be good at SLI or CF and not to mention since its a VIA chipset it won't support SLI without modded drivers.
5) Got nothing on this one as mine ran for about 1.5 months with my E6600
6) Mine has 2 fan connectors but 1 is hard to see if not looking carefully for it.
7) Already said but this is more than most boards support these days.
8) Budget board, so thats why this is the way it is.

Personally I have recommended this board countless times as a budget board / interim board for people upgrading. It is great for that purpose and I have loved mine, took my E6600 up to 2.7Ghz, not a huge clock but I ran into a FSB wall on mine.

~jtjuska

id just like to let you know the 4x pcie slot isnt anything to worry about.ive heard alot of people saying the hit from 4x to 16x was monstous.well to put it simply the difference is minimal at best.here are my results with a x1900xt stock/cpu and mem stock.same 6.11 drivers.
3dmark 03 asrock 4x-18741 biostar 16x-19677
3dmark05 10691 11698
3dmark06 4876 5942

Back