• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS3 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jasonwllee

Hey all, I've just spent 3 hours putting together PC bits (my first build, I tell thee!). Everything seems to fit together, and it powers on. However, I'm trying to install Windows on the blank SATA drive, with CD-ROM/DVD as the second boot (after floppy) and it's then that I run into problems.

When I try to use my own copy of Windows XP SP2, it refuses to be recognised at all. When I put in the OEM that came with my sister's Dell, it loads up the setup and then states that there are no hard drives attached.

I read somewhere that you need to fiddle around with the Bios options to get SATA recognised, but I can't find the options in the Integrated Peripherals menu. There are also mentions of needing to install SATA drivers, but this doesn't seem to be the case as SATA is already shown in the Bios.

So...what do I do? And is there a way to use my version of XP rather than the Dell which looks to be primed to load up the hard drive with junk? I've already used my disk once to install Windows to a formatted drive, albeit IDE, but it should still boot the setup. Plus, it still works in this computer!

My specs are:

Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
1 Gig Corsair DDR2 RAM
200 Gb Maxtor 6V200E0 DiamondMax 10

I've downloaded and unzipped this driver:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Moth … ileID=2790

It's the penultimate one from the bottom on this page:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Moth … A-965P-DS3

When I load up XP using the Dell CD, put the floppy in, press F6 during the Setup, I get the following message:

"Setup was unable to load support for the mass storage device you specified. Currently Setup will load support for the following mass storage devices

<none>

To specify additional SCSI adpaters, CD-ROMs or special disk controllers for use with Windows, including those for which you have a device support disk from a mass storage manufacturer, press S."

Then I press S

"Please insert the disk labelled:

Manufacturer supplied hardware support disk

into drive A. Press Enter when ready."

So I press Enter and the same message comes up. So now, I'm at a loss of what to do. My floppy shows up in the BIOS, but it's hard to tell if it's reading the floppy disk, since the light is always on.

Also, I'm almost certain that my version of Windows is SP2. Hmm.

I'm fairly sure the drive is plugged in properly, having never handled SATA drives before, with a power supply cable and a cable connecting it to the motherboard. Is there anyway of telling if it is working properly? Also, I've tried plugging in an IDE drive with XP installed on it and it can't load up Windows. It keeps restarting and then asking if I want to go into Safe Mode. Even with the Safe Mode selection it doesn't get any further.

Many thanks in advance!

Jason

nLite

I had a very similar problem to yours and ended up making an XP cd with the drivers integrated using nLite. It was surprisingly easy and got everything working. Also I read there is an issue where during the F6 screen it will only show 4 lines of text when there are really 8 choices. For me the 366 RAID Controller is the one it wanted, which wasn't showing up. I hope this helps you!

Wait. Are you trying to use raid for this setup? Because if not, you shouldn't need a driver to be slipstreamed in order to install. Which ports are you using for the SATA drive? Intel or Gigabyte? You do have to tune the settings in the bios to support Raid, if that is what you are trying to do.

Found the problem:

Faulty SATA cable. It stole about eight hours of my life and I want them back. Thanks for all your help anyway guys!

Jason

Back