• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

biostar 965pt in need of HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

ill try to keep it short.i finally installed this mb last night.everything was going really well.i hit 3.6 1:1 @1.475(with cpuz)ran orthos overnight.alright!8hrs and no probs!everything was running sweet.core temp was showing max load temps of 38c woohoo.
until this morning.i updated the bios.reboot and run cpu z and my multi is 6x...wtf?so it seems im now running 1:1 @2400 with 6x multi????i immediately flash back.no dice.so i look thru xs and find a couple of deluxe bioses.try runnning them(along with every pt and deluxe bios i can find) and still the 6x multi.1:1 2:3 4:5 doesnt matter the multi is stuck at 6x.theres nothing in the bios to change the multi!
if i run orthos it says im running cpu speed of 3600.coretemp says the same.the biostar ocing utility also says 3600.cpu z and crystal cpuid say im running 6x @2400.this is a retail 6600 why the hell is it defaulting to 6?am i noobing out and missing something in my frustration?:bang head please help b4 i do something crazy...

geez no love.not a single reply :( lol well i figured it out.it was blindows.<---shoulda known huh?reinstalled and everything is gtg.

i was just teasin :)
so far im up to 3607 1:1 1.5v but temps are a wee bit scary.63c with orthos running for only about 5 mins.ill try reseating the block tomorrow and see if temps improve.nb is getting pretty hot too.i havent been able to find a proggy to accurately monitor the nb temps yet.the biostar monitor is a joke.i havent tried tweaking the mem timings yet.so much to do still.
any suggestions for a hardware monitor Green?

try Everest or speedfan

Those temps are about in line with high end air cooling.. if your using the water cooling in your sig, what size rad is that? Linkage?

its a black ice extreme 2.2x120s pulling on the bottom of my case.from the top of the rad.im going to try and figure out a way to mount two more on the bottom of the rad.ive got them mounted directly to the rad.should i get a gasket to raise them up some?i havent had time to reseat the cpublock yet either.im hoping to get it done tomorrow.right now its idling @43-45(coretemp) 3.428 1.4v loads @57-59 depending on the orthos test.
link http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200&products_id=1646

well i reseated the cpu and reapplied as5.temps did drop and the cores are lining up alot closer now.idling @40-42c and load 53-55.it still seems awfully high for only 1.4v i wonder if i need to get higher cfm fans.this sucks i was hoping for much better temps with the wcing loop.ambient temps are only 25c.i guess ill try tweaking the tube length some(ive got a couple that need to be shortened)and try to find a way to mount a couple more fans for a push/pull config.

Last edited:
maxfly, how do you like this mobo?
I was looking to build a same setup as you, and was looking at the Biostar 965pt mobo or the Asus 650i.

for the price its a really nice mb.overall i like it despite a few quirks.
pros-it overclocks to insane speeds.is very stable once you find your cpus sweetspot.its laid out well.all of the deluxe bios' i have tried work with it.the modded bios' ive tried are the best ocers so far.
cons-it doesnt support raid.mine has coldboot issues(hopefully biostar will release a bios fix soon).the nb heatsink isnt very good but i cant really complain about this with the cost of the board being so low.there is no multi adjustment yet in the bios(once again hopefully they will release a bios that does soon).im not impressed with the biostar support for this mb tbh.there is only one bios(dated in july)available for it on their website<---not impressed with this either.their is no nb temp monitoring for this mb :(
overall its the best bang for the buck 965 youll find for ocing.

maxfly said:
well i reseated the cpu and reapplied as5.temps did drop and the cores are lining up alot closer now.idling @40-42c and load 53-55.it still seems awfully high for only 1.4v i wonder if i need to get higher cfm fans.this sucks i was hoping for much better temps with the wcing loop.ambient temps are only 25c.i guess ill try tweaking the tube length some(ive got a couple that need to be shortened)and try to find a way to mount a couple more fans for a push/pull config.
Do you have a link to your build log on your water cooling?

Im thinking you might not be getting enough ventilation to the rad, getting freash air to the fans you have so they can move it. I only got that out of what you said, without pictures Im not sure whats up.

btw.. its this one http://jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCR-220-Radiator-Black-pr-3199.html or obviously the thermochills that dont need much preasure, IIRC the BI's needed more preasure.. whats up with the CFM talk, you want preasure (thick fans) its a rad ;) I wouldnt plan on 25mm fans on anything but the two low air preasure optimized rads (that I know of)

greenmaji said:
Do you have a link to your build log on your water cooling?

Im thinking you might not be getting enough ventilation to the rad, getting freash air to the fans you have so they can move it. I only got that out of what you said, without pictures Im not sure whats up.

btw.. its this one http://jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCR-220-Radiator-Black-pr-3199.html or obviously the thermochills that dont need much preasure, IIRC the BI's need more preasure.. whats up with the CFM talk, you want preasure (thick fans) its a rad ;)
no build log unfortunately.i dont have a dig cam(yeah yeah i know lol)ill try to grab a cam tomorrow/tues and post a pic of the rad placement.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_335&products_id=20753
im using this to mount the rad on the case bottom.im not very good with the ol dremel so i try to avoid hacking up my case.im using thermalbake 120s at 7v if that helps explain things any better.

Is it possitioned to suck air from under the case? If so, could you see if the rad needs cleaning *the under side*?

ok heres my progress so far.pulled the rad.cleaned the bottom of the rad off(it was getting pretty clogged up,thx for the tip!).added 2 120mm fans to the bottom of the rad(im going to scavenge some of the filter off the door to cover the fans)for a push pull.temps are the same at idle but have dropped to 52-53c constant underload with orthos running for about 10 mins.its getting there!now i have to drain the loop.trim down some of the longer runs and find some springs to keep it from kinking.ugh i hate draining the darn thing.

No problem.
1/2" cooling system? You should try some 3/32" thickness walled 7/16" ID tubing, Im guessing your tubing is thicker if your having kinking issues.

sorry for the slow response.its actually flattening out at the tight bends :( i believe its 5/8od 1/8.the last stuff i used was 3/4 od and was a bear to bend without stressing the heck out of my vc.<--no flattening there lol.
seems things are getting better.im running orthos blend.3.6cpu 400x9 1.52v and havent gone any higher than 58c.altho idle temps are still higher than id hoped 43c-46c.im really wondering if i need to change the loop altogether.im going pump-cpu-gpu-rad-pump...
im trying to get a friggin digital cam so i post a pic.been really busy the last couple of days tho lol.

From the measurements your giving I'm concluding you have a 3/8 barbed system so if this is totaly off let me know :)

The Radius on masterkleer in that size is 1-1/8" (1.125") part number 5233K65

If its getting too tough you could try to go down a 1/16 of an inch on the ID for a 5/16 ID (heat and streach like the 1/2" barb users do) and go 3/32 wall for a 1" bending radius. part number 5233K62
1-99 Ft. $0.34 per Ft.

btw.. my browser is hotlinking copy and pastes so I'm not sure if those links will work but the numbers are correct :)

greenmaji said:
From the measurements your giving I'm concluding you have a 3/8 barbed system so if this is totaly off let me know :)

The Radius on masterkleer in that size is 1-1/8" (1.125") part number 5233K65

If its getting too tough you could try to go down a 1/16 of an inch on the ID for a 5/16 ID (heat and streach like the 1/2" barb users do) and go 3/32 wall for a 1" bending radius. part number 5233K62
1-99 Ft. $0.34 per Ft.

btw.. my browser is hotlinking copy and pastes so I'm not sure if those links will work but the numbers are correct :)
hmm im not getting any email notifications for some reason.ill have to resubscribe.
im using 1/2id x5/8 od.thickness is just under a 1/8th inch.unfortunately im tapped out thx to xmas lol.so new tubing isnt going to happen for a while :(
i grabbed this off the egg when i ordered some xmas gifts a few weeks ago
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835128018
yeah yeah i got raped lol.i didnt feel like making another order at the time.
anyhow lol.im using some thick cable ties to keep the tubing from flattening out.its working pretty well too.im going to send myself a reminder email to grab the cam tomorrow lol.sooo ill get the pic up for ya then(tying string around my finger)
hope the holidays are treatin ya good so far Green!

well Green i think im throwing in the towel :(
ive had cold boot issues since i hooked her up.it mysteriously disappeared for about a week(what a week it was!) but its returned with a vengeance.if i set the cpu freq to 400+.upon next boot it will black screen-reboot.then cycle on and off infinately.i have to hard shut down.flip the psu switch for a few seconds.reboot and hit delete to get into the bios or it will continue cycling again.if i reset the cpu freq to 400 the cycle continues when it boots back up again.anything under 399 and it is fine.i can then go back into the bios after setting cpu freq to 399.up the cpu freq to 400+ and it will run great.ive run orthos/prime for 10+ hours and run every benchmark i can stand to look at lol.they all run fine and dandy.until i power down and try to reboot.
i have tried tweaking everything from ram timings to mch voltage to no avail.if it could be adjusted/turned off or on ive tried it...sigh.
from what ive gathered about the other 965 boards with this issue.it took a bios update to fix(please correct me if im wrong).well biostar hasnt released a bios update since july for the pt and the latest deluxe bios doesnt help.so my hopes of a bios fix seem rather slim.
i so wanted this mb to take me to feb/mar when the new enthusiasts mbs have had time to settle in.
edit:i will get pics posted of my loop when i get the new mb hooked up.

Back