• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oxidized copper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antioch

Hi guys. I have a Siwftech Apogee waterblock that I've left unused for a month (Just in case you're wondering, I cleaned the Arctic Silver off of it with alcohol before I stopped using it). I'm about to start using the block again and the bottom surface is no longer shiny, it's a dull brownish color - basically it's been oxidized. I have some copper cleaner laying around and I was wondering if it's alright if I use it to clean the block back to it's shiny new self? It's not an abrasive brush or anything, just some chemical cleaning fluid.

Thanks.

Antioch said:
Hi guys. I have a Siwftech Apogee waterblock that I've left unused for a month (Just in case you're wondering, I cleaned the Arctic Silver off of it with alcohol before I stopped using it). I'm about to start using the block again and the bottom surface is no longer shiny, it's a dull brownish color - basically it's been oxidized. I have some copper cleaner laying around and I was wondering if it's alright if I use it to clean the block back to it's shiny new self? It's not an abrasive brush or anything, just some chemical cleaning fluid.

Thanks.
Damn right its ok ro remove oxidation with a non abrasive polish. Keep your metal looking good!

Should be fine.

Of course just make sure to thoroughly clean it off with rubbing alcohol after cleaning it to make sure the cleaner does not leave any residue.

Vinegar and salt removes oxidation. However, I suggest using distilled water to clean the goo off.

Yep, ketchup works great.
For blocks that don't open like MCW6000, I use the salt and vinegar though because it takes forever to get all the ketchup out (when I'm cleaning the inside, that is).

Adragontattoo said:
Also if at all possible, try to wear gloves when you assemble.

some people (me) have very acidic body oil and fingerprints will discolor (oxidize) copper). My sweat given 2 years or working outside year round ate through a pair of glasses.

YIKES! :eek:

I second the vinegar method as well - worked on my Apogee and WW!

I vote Ketchup!

I've used it before also and it works fine. Depending on your resources anything mildly acidic should do the trick. Lemon juice can work too if watered down. Make sure it is water soluble or you have a way of cleaning off all the residue. Brasso or other metal cleaner residue needs to be removed so they don't interfere with the thermal grease.

(Hey Diggrr! I haven't seen you around lately. Maybe it's just me?)

Back