• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xenotick

Registered
Hi guys, I'm having a problem with another PC I'm building, using an ECS 680i. When I try to boot it up, the cpu fan spins, chipset fan spins and after a couple of seconds the gfx card fan spins however nothing is outputted to my monitor and displayed on the LCD display (for debugging) is just: --

Hope you guys can help..

Sounds like a grounding issue with the mobo to the case somehow. Take your parts out of the case and assemble them on the mobo box and then boot the whole thing. I bet it boots first time. I have experienced this a couple times in the last few years. One time I had to make my own mobo standoff washers out of small squares of black electricians tape. That did it for one grounding issue. The other one I was just a bit more careful about how I installed my parts and it booted fine after I re-installed everything.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS BRO!

Hey Krag, cheers for the help. Been around for a bit but only started to be more active recently. Built my first 680i system with no problems.. Now building this one for a relative but it's being a pain in the ***. Will try remounting the mobo now and will check all the standoffs etc..

Okay - I remounted the mobo, turned it on and now get one single deafening high pitched beep that lasts until I turn it off. Any idea what this means?

Edit: Turns out I forgot to plug the power supply to the GPU.. Anyway, after doing so the computer still didn't work as before - just idles with the -- on the LCD..

Thanks..

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, is that a bios beep or a shrill screech? Could be bad memory, bad CPU or bad mobo. Try to boot it with one stick of memory, alternate with the 2 sticks that you have. Do you have another CPU that you could try in the mobo? Keep swapping parts until you get good results. If you do not get any good results its probably a bad mobo.

*edit...you said you re-mounted the mobo, did you just re-mount it in the case? Try to assemble the parts outside of the case after you try the parts swapping thing.

Do you have spare parts to swap in for troubleshooting or verify the parts work on another system?

Right off the bat, first thing I would do is clear cmos. Next I would try a single stick of ram and maybe try it in a couple of different slots.

krag said:
Hmmmmm, is that a bios beep or a shrill screech? Could be bad memory, bad CPU or bad mobo. Try to boot it with one stick of memory, alternate with the 2 sticks that you have. Do you have another CPU that you could try in the mobo? Keep swapping parts until you get good results. If you do not get any good results its probably a bad mobo.

*edit...you said you re-mounted the mobo, did you just re-mount it in the case? Try to assemble the parts outside of the case after you try the parts swapping thing.

I tested it outside the case and got the same - then installed it into the case, no cigar though.

Do you have spare parts to swap in for troubleshooting or verify the parts work on another system?

Right off the bat, first thing I would do is clear cmos. Next I would try a single stick of ram and maybe try it in a couple of different slots.

I've tested the graphics card in another PC and it works fine - the rest of the components I can't really switch as I have no desire to take out and remount my Zalman 9500. I've tried using one stick of RAM in various slots, etc (both of the different sticks)..

Still get - - on the LCD error display and no POST.

This computer is driving me crazy..

Personally I would install a different CPU before RMA'ing the mobo. Because the few short minutes it takes to swap CPU's sure beats the 1-2 weeks of waiting for a new mobo.

Back