• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading a P2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You will most likely be limited to a 66Mhz FSB P3. Which I'm not sure if there are any. You may have to check if your board will support 100Mhz FSB, which I doubt it will. You would be much better off buying/building a new PC.

Edit: After looking over the system specs, it looks like you should be able to run a 100Mhz FSB P3 in it. You will probably be limited to one of the first P3 processors, like in the 600mhz or less.

Yeah, you will probably be restricted to Katmai P3s which are slot 1 so you won't need an adaptor. If you grab a 600Mhz one it should be a good kick in the pants for your system.

Well from what I can understand Gateway claims this mobo can go 850 mhz Im not sure how to go about at this time.
I have a ATI 3d rage pro 4 mb video
1.WD caviar 24300 4Gb 5400Rpm
1.WD caviar WD200bb 20Gb 7200 Rpm
Intel P2 266 Mhz cpu
Win 98
CdRom drive

The video card has sockets which look like it is for RAM.

I want to thank you for your help I am not familiar with slot1. I had a PIII 500 Mhz but someone else built it for me.

Last edited:
OK, well you could probably use at least an early "coppermine" P3. Since the board originally had a P2 in it I hadn't imagined it would support anything other than first gen P3s, but you may be in luck.

The first P3s were just slot 1, then the coppermines (the second P3 core) came in both slot 1 and socket 370, then they released some faster tweaked coppermines that were only socket 370 and needed a 133Mhz FSB.

Some old gfx cards did support upgrading the RAM, but it isn't worthwhile, the memory is hard to obtain and you could probably find a better replacement in a broken office throwout machine (don't be scared to dive into skips, I used to do it all the time).

intel never made (to my knowledge) a 66 MHz fsb PIII but you can use a 100 MHz fsb PIII on a 66 fsb board with a slotket and it will run fine, just at a slower clockspeed.

I have an old sony doing this with a PIII 700, the 440ex chipset underclocks the processor to 466 MHz but it runs fine and SSE works.

Back