• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Waterblocks for 680i chipset (MCP & SPP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Owenator

Senior Internet Fart
I have been playing around with my new Core 2 Duo set up (EVGA 680i board) and I ended up needing to RMA it for a new one. I was looking at it and I think the fact that I have an inverted ATX mounting is making the chipset overheat. I think the heatpipe needs oriented "ATX style" with the fan above instead of upside down like it is in my syste.

To correct this I am going to make a waterblock for the SPP and MCP out of copper. Below is a simple drawing of what I am making. Any thoughts?

mcp_spp_blocks.jpg

Last edited:
Have you cosidered other NB coolers? For instance, Thermalright makes a few that perform very well, and so does Jing Ting. I am only suggesting those, so that you won't have to add restriction to your current loop, and and risk lower performance from your CPU/GPU blocks.

But, to comment on the water blocks, why not use Copper Caps instead? Less machining and you could make it really "open" to help reduce the restriction.

Either way, good luck to you,

Bryan D

Sure I've considered other fan based coolers to be sure. I am just sick of the noise that the current fan makes. I want to go as fanless as possible.

I could make the SPP block out of a copper cap but the MCP has such a small foot print it would be easier to just machine it out of copper. All I have to do is drill a hole all the way through for the inlet and outlet. Then drill partial depth holes in the connecting area and then machine out the remnants.

When I do this I'll also be upping my tubing diameter to 1/2" OD. I know that the flow resistance will go up but I don't think it will be a problem with my Swiftech MCP350's 13ft of head. I'll update this thread when I know for sure.

Senater_Cache said:
For what it is worth, I was told by a mod on EVGA forum that the heatpipes in the 680 are in fact wicked and will thus work upside down just fine.
This is intersting because I noticed that my MCP/Southbridge is really freaking hot but the SPP/Northbridge is not at all. From what I know of heatpipes this is right as the hot end boils and then it cools on the cold end. I am just concerned that the temps are high either way so I want to cool them better.

Well I built two blocks from left over blocks I had in my "stock". I'll take some pics here eventua\lly.

I hooked it all up wiht new 1/2" ID tubing but my system wouldn't even power o!. :( I don't think I broke anything installing my stuff but you never know with me? ;) More likely the stiff tubing I used was keeping something from seating correctly. I have a spare mobo I can use to test.

I am going to swap out my 1/2" ID tubing for some softer thin walled 3/8" ID tubing for space concerns. I was using 1/2" ID 1/8" thick wall tubing which is pretty stiff and at 3/4" cross section takes up a lot of space. I am hoping to have it back up in the next day or so depending on my available time.

OK I have the blocks on my system and running! I'll take some pics when I get home. I replumbed it all with 3/8" ID 9/16" OD tubing. Fits much better and is more flexible than the bigger tubing from before!

(I ended up going back to my flaky original EVGA board as the RMA one I got died! I think it has a bad motherboard power connector. If I can I'm trying to get another "good" one as my current board had intermittent lockups. Although if the lockups were from overheating then I think I whave that licked!)

Cool. I love your DIY blocks--old school rocks!.

And the pics? or have ya forgotten? :D

very nice, I'm having a lot of trouble getting temps in line on the southbridge as well, I picked up the DD NB water loop for it, but don't want to have to route hoses down to the SB as the 8800 GTX is really big and I don't have the room really.

I find it hard to believe that the heat pipes will work inverted, simply cause they have a totally less effecient way to expunge the heat when the gas rises to the south bridge instead.

I'm guessing he's in the same boat as me with the Silverstone TJ06.

Senater_Cache said:
For what it is worth, I was told by a mod on EVGA forum that the heatpipes in the 680 are in fact wicked and will thus work upside down just fine.

Pics at long last!

OK here are the long awaited pics! I actually used two blocks that I had made earlier I just had to cut them down. I also added some tabs to hold the MCP down to the board. Now I call the "South bridge" chip the MCP and the "North bridge" the SPP per Nvidia nomenclature.

Here is the SPP block progenetor marked up where I cut it down.

680isppprogenetor.jpg

It was originally made as my first socket A waterblock asd seen here.

PS - I hope you enjoy them Diggrr! Sorry there's no "action" shots this time.

Last edited:
The SPP was made from a very simple chipset block that I made by drilling three interlocking 1/2" holes and soldering on a base. I had to cut it down a lot adn then I soldered on two tabs to hold it in place. Here is the original block maked up as to what I cut off with my saws all.

680imcpprogenetor.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the MCP installed. You can see one of the tabs here.

680imcp1.jpg

A shot of just how close it is under the 7900 GTX. There are a few mm of space actually. I should have a 8800GTX shortly so I'll update that clearance soon.

680imcp2.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the SPP installed in all its glory!

680ispp1.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted them from the back with springs. I had to cut holes in my mobo backing to aloow access while the board was installed.

680imounting.jpg

Last edited:
And finally, here is my current setup. I use 3/8" ID by 9/16" OD tubing. It is thick enough not to kink and small enough to all fit. My earlier 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing was so stiff it was making mounting hard so I went back to 3/8" ID. I know not everyone likes 3/8" ID but it works fine for this setup for now.

680iwholesetup.jpg

Flow order: Res/Pump => rad => CPU => SPP => GPU => MCP => Res/Pump

Last edited:
silvrhand said:
I find it hard to believe that the heat pipes will work inverted, simply cause they have a totally less effecient way to expunge the heat when the gas rises to the south bridge instead.

I'm guessing he's in the same boat as me with the Silverstone TJ06.
I agree that a heatpipe upside down does not make sense from a physics/engineering point of view. I think that the idea of heat rising is required here on earth. Heat rising is usually "gravity assisted" in a heatpipe but not in the inverted case. That and the wicking of the returning working fluid by capilary action is also slower. It probably adds up to very much reduced performance on an already hot chipset.

Space heatpipe orientation is not as big a deal as in space microgravity doesn't work against the heatpipe like it does here on earth.

In practice, my inverted mobo system ran so hot is crashed but water cooled it is fine so far. I even sent back my RMA board and am using my original instead. It turns out that it wasn' bad just over heating. Of course I time will tell.

Wow Nice work man,

I heard the Clan your with is really busy and you have been helping all the members out with this stuff as well.

Nice work man.

Owenator said:
I agree that a heatpipe upside down does not make sense from a physics/engineering point of view. I think that the idea of heat rising is required here on earth. Heat rising is usually "gravity assisted" in a heatpipe but not in the inverted case. That and the wicking of the returning working fluid by capilary action is also slower. It probably adds up to very much reduced performance on an already hot chipset.

Space heatpipe orientation is not as big a deal as in space microgravity doesn't work against the heatpipe like it does here on earth.

Well not quite. Correctly designed and built heat pipes use capillary forces to move the fluids, these forces dominate gravity so they work independent of orientation. Typical construction would have the outside tube and a wick-like structure to generate the capillary forces on the fluid. Of course, El cheapo designs often just have the outside tube so they are gravity dependent.

Orientation can also affect the convection off the heat pipe's heat sink, particularly if the case air flows were poor for some reason or the board were upside down to block natural convection.

Great work on the blocks Owenator! :beer:

Back