• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

single to dual core windows XP pro sp2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

terran2k

we have new dells at work, they're dual core pentium Ds. we use images to load our PCs, the original image was built on a single core intel non HT. When we loaded the image on the dual core dells, the task manager shows only 1 cpu, but bios shows its dual and detected. Is there a way to make windows see the dual??

you have to do a repair install or a fresh install so windows will recognize the new proc/core. I had to do that on my win2k install, too. There is info in the KB about it and howto's i believe

When in the performance view on the task manager go to View and CPU History and make sure its set One graph per CPU. If that doesnt help you may need to get a chipset update for the board or a windows update.

after searching thru the kb for an article for XP on adding support for multiple processors I couldn't find any, i guess it's just in 2k you have to take special steps.

From what I remember, you would have to reinstall from scratch, because when you originally installed on the single core machine, Windows would have installed a Uniprocessor HAL (hardware abstraction layer). You need a multiprocessor HAL in order for Windows to use both cores, and you cannot change the HAL without reinstalling Windows. That is my guess. Good luck.

repair worked.....there are some policy settings I have to make sure is still there after the repair.

Back