• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP655 failing after 3 days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheRuggedLion

Registered
I work the midnight shift, 12am - 8am. Well I come home, and my computer is shut off.... Funny I left it on when I went to work. Well, my cousin who im temporarily allowing to live with me (for free, doesn't do crap, and I recently found out why my car was always low on gas ) decided he wanted to come in my room, and shut my pc off even though he has no right to be in there. When I turn it back on, my pump is making the most annoying buzzing sound ever. It comes and goes, but 95% of the time its present. My pump was dead silent when I left to work, and has been since I got it. Now there is this buzzing. :bang head :bang head :bang head :mad: :mad: :mad: :bang head Thats my Lebanese temper. Its pretty much how I feel right now. Should I take the sucker apart and check to see if there are any abnormalities? I have no clue how a pump works, I need your help guys.

Does your coolant look right?

Here is the pump, from www.swiftnets.com
mcp650-exploded-view-640x62.jpg

Sounds like you need to set up some ground rules for your cousin, or kick him out.

Hey thanks for the quick response. I'm currently running straight distilled until I get my blue coolant hopefully in the mail today(can't remember the cheesy name). Everything looks crystal clear. I was wondering if maybe a small shaving came off the apogee and was just floating around in there... Oh yeah, my cousins deadline is the 28th. I feel like kicking him out isn't enough, I really want to beat his ***.

Well if the reson your cus came into your room and turned off the pc is because it was buzzing I would thank him , since a pump fail could cost you big $$

||Console|| said:
Well if the reson your cus came into your room and turned off the pc is because it was buzzing I would thank him , since a pump fail could cost you big $$
Yea and if that isn't the reason then kick his arse.:santa:

Unless he was the one that made it start buzzing.... But this isnt a thread advising when it is and isnt ok to beat family members. -- With that said, open hand dosent count. ;)

Its good hes leaving before newyears... Jan 1st can be an ugly day of hang overs and cleaning up. :D

LOL! Whts wrong with you guys :p Fortunately the Liang pump is powerful enough to when its at its lowest setting I still get almost the same temps. The buzzing isn't as bad at that level... I guess I'LL just have to clean my loop, and take a look at the pump... what a headache. I just have one more question, I don't have any extra tubing laying around, I'm having a pretty hard time pulling the 1/2" tubing off the barbs and I dont have the option to cut it. It feels like i'm gonna f*ck something up by pulling so hard. I know its good as its pretty leakproof, but is this normal?

Something might have broke within the pump causing vibration...could be more serious than running it on low. It's not normal either...for a crappy DD Mag LE II that I have yeah, vibrating like mad is normal cough pos cough, but for the MCP655...shouldn't be. Go for an RMA IMHO.

ziggo0 said:
Something might have broke within the pump causing vibration...could be more serious than running it on low. It's not normal either...for a crappy DD Mag LE II that I have yeah, vibrating like mad is normal cough pos cough, but for the MCP655...shouldn't be. Go for an RMA IMHO.
Absolutely!

I'd try back-flushing the pump first just in case there's some debris in there. If it still has that noise then send it back instead of taking the pump apart ...

Guys you're right. The loop was clean, nothing was floating around, I opened the pump and everything looked perfect. I flushed the loop, put some fresh distilled water in and it was still buzzing. So during the process of getting all the air bubbles out, the buzzing stopped a couple times. I am now able to duplicate the problem... I listened carefully to the pump as soon as I plugged the molex in and if it didn't "wind up" as high pitched/fast (still very quiet) as the other times, then it gave that buzzing sound. But if I plugged it in, and it winded up/gave a higher pitch than the other times the buzzing is gone. I kept it running overnight to see if the buzzing would come back and it didn't. As soon as I unplugged, and then plugged the pump back in, the buzzing came back. I kept doing so until the pump got a good wind up and the buzzing has been gone for another 4 hours. I think this might be an electrical problem.

OK, I changed my mind again. I don't think its electrical. I opened up the pump and on the motor there is a small white tip. This tip spins and makes a small cracking noise, which I believe if spun fast enough would turn into a buzz. Is this part suppose to spin?

mcp650-exploded-view-640x62.jpg

... I hope you didn't just run the pump with the casing off.. with no fluid... because that's a surefire way to burn up a pump.

Back