• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new quiet water cooling loop, what to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matador_de_sa

So I've been looking into water cooling. I've decided that I'd like to take the challenge/adventure of water cooling. I know how I'm going to design my loop, how to test my loop, how to hook everything up, and everything except what parts I want to get.

I am willing to spend downwards from $300 for CPU + VGA water cooling loop.

For my cpu block I was thinking the Swiftech APOGEE($50).

For my vga block I was thinking the Danger Den Maze4 Acetal($45).

For my pump I was thinking the Swiftech MCP655 ($75).

I have no idea what to get for a radiator. (see paragraph below)

I have a air cooled system right now that is really quiet on silent mode, but I can turn it to loud. Whenever it's too loud I can't sleep very well, so when I change to water cooling I'd still like to be able to sleep with my computer on. During the day I am listening to music so I don't notice any sound really. I would probably get these fans for my rad. Would they be compatible? What radiator would do the best with these fans?

Tubing: Tygon 1/2in. ID 11/16in. OD Laboratory Tubing #R3603 ($2.25/ft) time 10 feet = $22.35, but I'm looking for something cheaper, anyone have suggestions?

Additive: HydrX Extreme-Duty UV Coolant ($3.29)

Resevoir: Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir ($30)

anti-kink: Swiftech Coolsleeves 625 ($2.60*2=$5.20)

For a grand total of: $230.84 plus a radiator.

Apogee is alright for cpu block
Swiftech or danger den gpu block are good
You want quiet, get mcp355/ddc+ instead of mcp655

For quiet rady you can go with black ice pro series, swiftech mcr series, black ice gt series. What size of radiator are you looling for? With one, two, three fans. Mostly it will depend on the case that you are using and what you can fit in or outside.

Tubing, I don't like tygon becasue it is expensive. I would rather pick up masterclear 7/16id/5/8od tubing. It runs under $1 per foot. Though it is tougher to put it on and off the fittings.

For the rad I would mount it externally. I've heard that dual 120mm is the best, because it's more than single, and triple provides only marginal advantages.

Would I need to to this mod to make that pump effective, or is it just a minor tweak? What does "free flow rate" mean?

Last edited:
You can but you don't have to mod mcp355. Modded mcp355 is better than mcp655. Unmodded mcp355 performs as good as mcp655 with less noise. If you don't want to mod you could buy modded top for $30 for that pump.

For rady you can pick from Swiftech mcr220, black ice pro 2, black ice gt 240. They will have similar level of performance.

Back