• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast Win XP Dual Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

How do I allow windows to dual boot with two different versions of XP?

I forgot and google only brings up 2000/XP and Linux/XP

Thanks, ps2cho

Just install your home/MCE first and then pro on another partition. All the boot files will be on the first partition and you'll get an option which to boot to as you are booting up.

Are you trying to dual boot 32bit/64bit? Then I'd suggest the 32bit first and then the 64bit.

Is there a way to name each one as they are both Windows XP Professional. Also what about a timedown so after 10 seconds it autochoses (x) OS.

ps2cho said:
Is there a way to name each one as they are both Windows XP Professional. Also what about a timedown so after 10 seconds it autochoses (x) OS.
Edit the boot.ini file located in your root directory. you can put in any name you want for the OSs, set any OS as the default, and set a default wait time. I'd read about it first though, so you know what you'e doing.

if you have two drives, install one xp per drive and change the boot drive in bios. saves headaches with mbr later on. it's not the fastest solution but it's the cleanest. just make sure when you install each version, you have only one drive connected to avoid setup messing it up.

Back