• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oh no!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObiwanShinobi

Ive got a small amout of alge growing in my T line. I knew a T line was a stupid idea, its only for draining too :/ I have a res also. Should I just clean out my entire loop or poor some iodine or alge killer in my setup?

Yes, and Yes.

I'd clean it out, because if you just add the iodine, you'll have clumps of dead algae floating about the system...who knows what it will clog up.

Sure it's algae or is it some flux and guck clumping and floating into the line?
That's why I always clean out my rads when new.

*I've had anti-freeze dye things in my water loop before too, so it would look like algae.

Last edited:
Whatever it is, it isn't algae that won't grow (not will most anything else) with iodine in the loop. I agree that it is probably just some kind of gunk.

A T for a drain is not stupid. That is the smart thing to do so that you have an easy way to drain.

Diggrr said:
Sure it's algae or is it some flux and guck clumping and floating into the line?

*I've had anti-freeze dye things in my water loop before too, so it would look like algae.

What do you use to clean out the new components, tap water?

trenchdog73 said:

Vinegar/Distilled water with a drop of dishwashing soap, rinse with distilled water a few times.

voigts said:
Whatever it is, it isn't algae that won't grow (not will most anything else) with iodine in the loop. I agree that it is probably just some kind of gunk.

A T for a drain is not stupid. That is the smart thing to do so that you have an easy way to drain.
Agreed, iodine or algaecide will not allow algae to grow. Do you use any dye and how well did you prep your system before installation?

trenchdog73 said:

I use the hottest dish water that my tap will deliver to soak it for a while, and then flush it out using a piece of tubing on each barb one at a time with the other end stuck up in the faucet aerator...my water pressure is 50 psi minimum, so that pushes just about anything out of it.

A quick rinse with distilled water and a towel drying, and it's ready to go.

Vinegar is great for cleaning out a used rad, but won't always dissolve fluxes used in manufacturing. One of my cans of plumbing flux will not dissolve in vinegar, It just sat in the bottom of my test "beaker". I know vinegar is mostly water, but the heat and soap play a large role.
Hot soapy water will take care of most types.

Last edited:
How would a T line make algae grow? T lines are for winners.

You are going to have to clean out the loop. There is no way around it unless you want junk flowing through your loop and possibly clogging stuff up. It also isn't good on your pump. Just take everything out and clean it and put it back together. You have Christmas break for it.

Diggrr said:

Well, ive used blue UV dye and green antifreeze. I didnt really prep anything before filling the loop up before.

ObiwanShinobi said:
Well, ive used blue UV dye and green antifreeze. I didnt really prep anything before filling the loop up before.

so you have green antifreeze and green algae growing in your loop?

well, i might be crazy, but there could be a similarity here.

this is why im just going to bear the un-coolness and not use any dye what so ever. just use clear anti-freeze and some iodine and be done with it.

Back