• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS3 USB problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

legionaire45

I bought a DS3 (with the integrated graphics) a while back from a local retailer thinking it was new but when I opened the packaging, low and behold it was already open. Board was free floating in the box without an anti static bag or the foam to protect the bottom. Everything has been working fine until recently when the USB ports seemingly randomly will go on and off. I highly doubt that it is a driver issue because I uninstalled and reinstalled my USB drivers with the latest ones and it still does it. Only two ports work at a time at all and one will randomly turn off, usually my mouse but it does it with my G15 sometimes as well. Has anyone encountered something like this on this board? This is a Rev 1 board. Its also a install of Windows only a few weeks old. Latest drivers on Logitech's end. Now sure what BIOS it is. One thing that I want to mention is that games have been somewhat unstable with it. I can play Oblivion but it usually freezes and has even BSOD'ed once. DoD:S will freeze up the computer, and SourceForts sometimes does it too. Nothing seems to be overheating, and the heatsink over the northbridge isnt very warm at all.

update: I just felt the Northbridge and its noticably warmer. The same with the Southbridge. Its not burning hot but before I felt very little heat from it and it is noticably warmer.

Last edited:
The NB and SB get warm... The NB will get uncomfortably warm to the touch.

I would RMA the board and/or return for a replacement:(

It could be a driver issue, though I never had a problem with the mouse or keyboard. This is a big issue and deserves a replacement.

I do have 2 problems with the Gigabyte. One problem is with the ATA drivers and device that is made by JMicron, but that Gigabyte renames under their own name. This problem existed when I had my Asus P5B (Basic), running. On the P5B it got better, and the Gigabyte aint bad. When you plug into the JMicron Device 2 CD/DVD Burners, and burn 2 DVD's at the same time (two versions of Nero running). It will work for awhile then CRASH, or one will stop recognizing any disc you put in it.

The second issue is more like yours, and seems to be a common problem with the SoundBlaster X-Fi with Gigabyte MoBo's. That problem is that the X-Fi will stop working after 4 or 5 restarts, and if you run and re-install the web update drive files on the X-Fi website it will result and run the card fine for awhile.

I think this is a localized issue with Gigabyte and the X-Fi, though I havent been able to show or test other PCI devices. I do NOT know if it is also related to any USB devices, though I highly doubt the Keyboard or Mouse should or would go unnoticed by the Gigabyte staff. I feel that the Gigabyte is somehow failing to report changes after a restart to windows with certain devices through the PNP standards.

I am waiting for the F8 Bios for the DQ6 to pop up. This should take care of the problem (I hope).

Mike

Right now I have the mouse on my Front Panel USB port and its working. I guess its just the slots that are not working. Sadly because its used I cant return it, but if my front panel ports stop working i'll check and see if I can RMA it through Gigabyte. Annoying, Now I only have 3 USB ports. The NB temp is ok, it just has gotten warmer since I first measured it. It could just be the ambient temp affecting it but it wasn't exactly cool the day I first checked. My game stability has improved since I defragmented the comp, but DoD still crashes, im guessing its just because my cruddy little Celeron D can't take it. As soon as prices drop on C2D's im grabbing one and some better ram.

Back