• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Microsoft may not have started the DRM wars (MPAA & RIAA did), but it looks like they are going to try positioning themselves as the master middleman that everyone will have to pay for any transactions to occur. Even the MPAA & RIAA will have to pay Microsoft for the technology development and it's use LOL.

I dont see why DRM still exists. Any company that even talk about incorporating it into there products gets hammered from all angels. So if no one really wants it(except for the damn RIAA and a few major companies), then why are they doing this? Dont they realize that this could hurt there sells, alot. I mean, I might be switching over to OSx or linux now because of this whole ordeal, and I think most people feel the same way too. Am i not right?

yes, but I think maybe it is useful that myths, rumours and overly pessimistic evaluations of this are spread, it might make some impact amongst the more technically inclined and paranoid sixpacks.

Vista content protection

Lucky computing hasn't ever turned into server client architecture, cos we'd really be stuffed. But until then my computer running my electrons through my germanium in my CPU, I will choose which parts of that execution sequence I want to modify (with my crack), so that this protection is removed. Thats my right, its a recipe, and every cook likes to experiment with it. I like to add a bit of spice to it.

Every OS MS released has involved some type of equilibrium between the MS guys, the crackers and the sw engineers working in Chinese sweat shops.

Vista will be harder to crack, no doubt, sw engineers will have to target the Hardware Abstraction Layer, and apply cracks there. If a version of Softice came out for Vista, I'd be on the front line tomorrow.

Encryprion between internal components isn't too bad - FOR MILITARY USE.
And converting data from an encrpted and non encrypted state is a drain on resources. No doubt.

Just think, if telepathic aliens invade our planet tomorrow, they won't be able to telepathise the signals inside my computer (from my PCI bridge along the bus). How cool will that be?

Back