• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

brazing a chrome plated waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ogerx

so.. I was Finally thinking I'd be finishing my water chiller soon... was planning to use a maze4 gpu block brazed shut.. but brass replacement tops are out of stock and it seems dangerden has no plans of making them anymore.. just chrome-plated brass tops.. (going by the 2 email replies I got from them -- my usual luck)

SOO.. think it's worth trying to braze one of those? figure the chrome would have to be sanded/grinded off first..

(or if anyone knows where to get a silverprop gpu block in the US for semi-cheap that'd work too.. $35 + shipping just for a chrome block top kinda sucks.)

Last edited:
Depending on how it is chrome plated, there may be a problem with some outgassing of unwanted compounds. However, doing it with good ventilation should help. Also, grinding off the plating should avoid problems with the braze point working. However, you may damage chrome plate left on in other areas. However, as long as the area you are brazing is clean and bare metal, and you can braze well to begin with, you should be able to braze it successfully.

Back