• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

Hello guys and merry christmas!!,
my question is this. Im building a new rig from scratch and want to OC to CPU a lot. Im building a custom WC rig mostly from swiftech parts. and I have most of my computer parts picked out. They are as follows

CPU: C2D E6600
VID: 7900GS
Case: Gigabyte aurora
HD seagate barracuda 500GB X2 in RAID 1
PSU: thermaltake toughpower 700W
RAM: Corsair XMS 2X1GB 4-4-4-12

I really wanted to get the asus p5n32-e mobo because I like Asus and the board looks nice (+ i like the separate sound card) but ive heard that it doesnt OC well. I was hoping on taking the FSB past 400 after I get the WC kit in. Ive heard good things about the EVGA 680i board but didnt like the idea that it was nVidia's reference board. Maybe I should just get the EVGA 680i anyway? Also i guess i should be considering an intel northbridge board too... Could you guys suggest a board and tell me the reasoning that you like it?? I know that this topic is out there but ive been researching for a long time and picked out all the hardware but the mobo and since it is such an important piece of hardware I wanted to make sure that I picked the right board.

PS im hopeing on going SLI in the future too

THANKS!!

well you want to sli so the only option you have is a NV chipset board. if you just planned for a sinlge card system then i would say grab a 975x chipset mobo.

Evilsizer said:
well you want to sli so the only option you have is a NV chipset board. if you just planned for a sinlge card system then i would say grab a 975x chipset mobo.

nope, 965p chipset is newer, more stable and overclocks better than 975x. The only differences are looser timings on the memory (which isnt very important in C2Ds anyways) and no crossfire support. Many people is getting the Asus P5B Deluxe, i dont see the point on getting the AP version but thats your call

PhobMX said:
nope, 965p chipset is newer, more stable and overclocks better than 975x. The only differences are looser timings on the memory (which isnt very important in C2Ds anyways) and no crossfire support. Many people is getting the Asus P5B Deluxe, i dont see the point on getting the AP version but thats your call
if the cpu was lower then e6600 then yes the p965 would be better for the higher fsb clocks. otherwise the better performance is on 975x. just because the p965 is newer then the 975x does not make it better. if you take the same cpu on a p965 and then 975x, the 975x will be faster then the p965 in benchamarks.

Evilsizer said:
if the cpu was lower then e6600 then yes the p965 would be better for the higher fsb clocks. otherwise the better performance is on 975x. just because the p965 is newer then the 975x does not make it better. if you take the same cpu on a p965 and then 975x, the 975x will be faster then the p965 in benchamarks.

sounds right, if hes getting pc8000 ram (1000MHz ddr2) i guess he would be suited better with an e6400. He sabes $ and gets 95% performance if not the same...

im planning on getting pc26400 RAM unless I can get 8000 for around the same price. And im pretty dead set on the e6600

With a E6600, 6400ram is the way to go, if you OC it to 3.6ghz running the ram at 1:1 = 800mhz

By the way I like my board but being a 975x chipset theres no option to go sli.
So if thats a must have, then its a nv chipset board for you.

Back