• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

window xp reformat problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AKPl3

Unfortunately, I made the problem worse.

When booting up my windowsxp cd, I am shown a "Unknown disk (there is no disk in this drive)" in the the prompt where the partition process is suppose to take place. Continuing on reveals a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" screen with a setupdd.sys error included.

So far, I disabled my ACPI settings and moved my RAM to see if that was the problem. It is not... I also have not added any devices recently.

To make the situation more complicated, I went ahead and installed Partition bootmagic. To do so, I had to create a FAT32 partiton. After doing this, I also had to "fdisk /mbr" (to solve another problem that I had involving bootmagic).

Last edited:
Hey, hey, another one..
Welcome to the Forum!:welcome:

Well I'm not a software guru, like alot of people here, but let me ask you.
Are you setting up a dual boot system?
If not, why the Bootmagic?

Thanks OnDborder. I'm just a long time lurker who lost his old username.

No, Im not setting up a dualboot (but I'll do so in the future once I get ubuntu running).

Basically, in the recent past, I made an attempt to try and install X86 Tiger on my PC but it never worked out. To do so, I was trying to dualboot with Bootmagic. So I ended up just using Bootmagic to partition my drives for windows.

Thats a system memory problem most likely, it can also be the L2 cache or a video memory error. Was this system working with no problems prior to the reformat? Even so I'd run a good session of Memtest & load BIOS defaults prior to your next install attempt.

I cannot say whether I had this problem after my previous reformat because this is the first time that I tried to reinstall XP with that partition.

Well, I just ran the latest version of memtest about ten times and each of them passed. I also played around with the RAM to see if that would solve something, and it did not. I also loaded my BIOS defaults by pressing F5 in the BIOS.

Is there a way to partion when installing XP?
I don't know because I've used PartionMagic for years. It's a great program. You can format,convert, partion, etc.
There are some times when you just have to bite the bullet and low level format. You might be in one of those situations. It might be the easiest way to go..
I was hoping someone with more OS knowledge would solve your problem.
Oh well, at the least this will bump it up to the top.. :)

Strangely, it turned out to be a RAM problem afterall.

Although I previously did it before, I went ahead and reset my RAM and BIOS settings and it seems to work now.

Back