• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got a baaaad feeling about this one...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObsesivComplsiv

Registered
Let me start by saying "sorry" if I put this in the wrong section. It was a toss-up between here and virus/malware section so I gave it the old "eenie-meenie-miney-mo" and here we are :) Im on my buddy's machine (mine's in pieces until get the cash to finish the mod im working on) today and ran across a winamp installer file that he got from god only knows where and got the bright idea to run it. I thought COOL this is a newer than version # than I have lets checkit out! Now the story get ugly. An un-closable mIRC installer starts running the mouse & KB stop responding so I decide to shut it down hope I got to before it had a chance to finish. I boot it back up and start looking around and noticed that the boot info looks odd but its not my machine and i'm unfamiliar with some of the software installed on this puppy that might account for change. I ran the "Check all Boot paths" in msconfig says that they dont exist so I figured I would run it by you guys and see what you thought because I may not get another chance if she won't boot. So my question is: Does this boot.ini look familiar?

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=signature(1d705a47)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
signature(1d705a47)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /TUTag=I7W7W9 /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
signature(1d705a47)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" /fastdetect /TUTag=I7W7W9-BAK

Thanks for quick reply I really appreciate it. I was (and guess I still will if he returns my call) going to ask him but I would probably have better luck researching that prog. myself. He knows his way around windows to a certain extent, but I doubt that he savvy enough to know whats in his boot files. He's more of a fresh Windows install every couple of weeks kinda guy :) Besides , the fact that nothing in the file passed the check tells me that something is off anyways. I would think that that prog. adding its own line to the list would be all that it would need to work. ive never known of any to change the default path also but I could be wrong.

Back