• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whalesong

Hello there folks,

I was just wandering what your experiance is so far with overclocking the Gigabyte 965P-DQ6,S775,iP965,ATX motherboard?
I ordered a new pc with this motherboard installed in it,and in stil wondering if i made the right choice,or switch to the Asus P5B-deluxe version?

Thanks for your reactions,hope you can help me make the choice somewhat easier.:santa:

if you looking for average oc then dq6 is good... if your really inexperienced with oc then go with asus, better platform to learn on. dq6 will test your patience, but can/will go as far as you ask it to. ive hit 4ghz on air, and run 3.8ghz 24/7

I love it... great board... a few problems with it, but I just downloaded the updated NEW F8 Bios...

Very Cool
Mike

GreenJelly said:
I love it... great board... a few problems with it, but I just downloaded the updated NEW F8 Bios...

Very Cool
Mike

What problems would that be????:confused:

GreenJelly said:
F8 Bios is out... 99% of my problems are GONE!

WOOT!

Funny, my problems are just started. New thread being created. Check out f8 bios update with raid Failure.

I have found the baord more then acceptable I have got my conreo 2.4 running a stable 3.2, I find the thing works bloody fantastic for what I want.

mine handles a 4.2 over clock and the fsb still has head room

get one(note i dont run 4.2 normally i gave it a shot a few times)

I'm using E6600 with DQ6....it wont boot if more than 3.4GHz....anyone can help me?May i know the setting of u ppl using now?
Thanks....newbie here....

DQ6 The truth

The truth of this motherboard is that its a great value.

If you want a great overclocking motherboard, then I would go with Asus P5B Deluxe, though expect to spend allot more. Their is some question about the actual benifit of the additional money.

There have been problems with some types of Micron Memory. The truth is that every motherboard has been having these problems

My problems where with early problems with some of my cards. It was fixed in F8 (Sound Blaster X-Fi). It was a hassle more then a complete failure.

PATA IDE DVD-ROMs and Multiple Read/Writes have been a problem. I wouldnt recommend using more then one DVD on this ATA device. The problem Arises with JMicron, who's product is also in the Asus, and from personal experiance, also has the same problem

Luckily SATA CD/DVD-RW's are becoming available, reliable, and work great. The intel chipset supports these devices with out a problem.

The board is of amazing design. The only issues expressed has been the backplate/heatsink on the MoBo, behind the CPU can get in the way of some aftermarket coolers. However, Gigabyte has assured its customers that removal of this plate will NOT be a reason for the board to be supported.

The heatsinks are large, and are built for an AirCooled CPU. However I run water, and the heatsinks still remain VERY cool. Again a few aftermarket air coolers have had clearance issues.

The bios is forword and steady. I have very few problems with overclocking, though I do seem to run into a wall at, and around 3500mhz. Maybe the chip compacity.

I run 1066mhz Corsair Memory, overclocked to a "4" memory multiplier (at stock FSB) or a 320mhz FSB "3.33" memory multiplier. I have had no issues.

Mike

BTW, the Asus has ALLOT of problems too, and I wouldnt recommend them. However I am running a P5B in my HTPC, though it is watercooled, I dare not OC it for all the issues I had with the X6800 I had tried to use in it.

I picked up a GA-965P-DQ6 v.1 yesterday for my first conroe build. Slaped a E6600 on it with a Big Typhoon. Cheap arse cl5 Kingston value ram.

Flashed the bios to F8 after struggling to 3.0 ghz stable on F4 bios. On the F8 Im stable at 3.4 ghz. A 1000 mhz oc!!! I haven't seen anything like this since the 2.4c. Looking forward to getting some better ram and stomping on this thing hard.

OPOOO,,, as for the board. I was reluctant to purchase it. Ive always like Gigabytes. But they never stood up to Oc'ing like Asus and Abit. Not that they wouldn't oc. Just didnt seem like they want to go all the way.

This board screams quality. The glass is very good. It feels solid like the old Asus boards. Its layed out very well indeed. So far its been a very easy board to work with. Plenty of room around the cpu. The passive cooling seems to work well on the northbridge and power circuits surrounding the socket.

A few things of note.

If your going to put a monster heat sink on the board or other cooling options. Your going to have to remove the so called heat sink on the back of the board. I looked at it and knew it was coming off. The frag pad and sink where barley on and insulating the socket more than anything. Three screws later and some dental floss and it was off and in the trash.

The cmos reset is way in the back of the board by the battery. Ive had to use it a few times in the last 24 hours. Ive had good luck with using a screw driver to short it.

I expect good things from this board!!!!

I have to admit, when I went to get this baord I was very sceptical about it, but after having this playing like it does, I am more then impressed, I cant praise this baord higher, I dont care about huge amount of overclocking, what I am thinking is upping it to 3.3GHz, and then seeing if it will go upto 3.4GHz, and then calling it a day at overclocking it. As for a Huge heatsink I did not have a problem sticking one in, I did not have to get mod the baord or the case, went in as smooth as babys backside. Anyone debating about a good baord get one of these. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

psyshack said:
Three screws later and some dental floss and it was off and in the trash.

I wouldnt throw it away... they may want it for a return, though giga-byte wont be picky. This is a nice feature, that isnt needed. I like it cause I got air blowing under my Mobo as well as over the surface.

40c on full load, running a X6800 with 320FSB.

Had some problems where turning off certain features and overclocking would lead to a continuous beep and reboot issue.

Yesterday I updated to F9. Their is a new memory feature that may help solve my random crash problem with the micron memory in the Corsair 1066 series. The F9 helps deliver stability to this type of overclocking memeory. My record was around 320 stable, with F9 out, I got it up to 330FSB.

Almost 3600 and 1066 memory with a 3.33 multiplier is fine with me.

Mike

GreenJelly said:
The truth of this motherboard is that its a great value.

If you want a great overclocking motherboard, then I would go with Asus P5B Deluxe, though expect to spend allot more. Their is some question about the actual benifit of the additional money.

There have been problems with some types of Micron Memory. The truth is that every motherboard has been having these problems

My problems where with early problems with some of my cards. It was fixed in F8 (Sound Blaster X-Fi). It was a hassle more then a complete failure.

PATA IDE DVD-ROMs and Multiple Read/Writes have been a problem. I wouldnt recommend using more then one DVD on this ATA device. The problem Arises with JMicron, who's product is also in the Asus, and from personal experiance, also has the same problem

Luckily SATA CD/DVD-RW's are becoming available, reliable, and work great. The intel chipset supports these devices with out a problem.

The board is of amazing design. The only issues expressed has been the backplate/heatsink on the MoBo, behind the CPU can get in the way of some aftermarket coolers. However, Gigabyte has assured its customers that removal of this plate will NOT be a reason for the board to be supported.

The heatsinks are large, and are built for an AirCooled CPU. However I run water, and the heatsinks still remain VERY cool. Again a few aftermarket air coolers have had clearance issues.

The bios is forword and steady. I have very few problems with overclocking, though I do seem to run into a wall at, and around 3500mhz. Maybe the chip compacity.

I run 1066mhz Corsair Memory, overclocked to a "4" memory multiplier (at stock FSB) or a 320mhz FSB "3.33" memory multiplier. I have had no issues.

Mike

BTW, the Asus has ALLOT of problems too, and I wouldnt recommend them. However I am running a P5B in my HTPC, though it is watercooled, I dare not OC it for all the issues I had with the X6800 I had tried to use in it.

the truth is the dq6 cost more and has crappy bios

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128323

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131045

Newegg is now shipping Rev 2.0 of this board. Mine came yesterday and I've read a number of others who've had 2.0 in the last month.

Last edited:
mine also came yesterday from newegg revision 2.0.

got rid of the crappy asus p5b-deluxe from my case (one of the many with no post issues with only fans spinning and lights on amongst 2 million other issues that baord has) and easily got my chip on the dQ6 to 3.6 and did super.pi in almost 16 seconds flat - with F7 bios. tested it at 3.3 orthos stable with just over 1.4v.

my ninja is not giving me good temps anymore either due to being reseated several times - those plastic clips stink. doin a screw on mod for the ninja next week.

too bad my ram is holding me back from anything over 900mhz really, only promos chips not the micron stuff.

Man, that is good news about Newegg shipping rev 2 boards! How is the sound? I am almost ready to click the buy button at newegg, but held off because if I wait till Q2, the E6600 should drop down to about $230. Should I wait or buy now?

Back