• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Utility programs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawne32

Does it really pay to buy a utility program like norton system works or somthing? Or would it be better to just buy individual programs like registry mechanic and diskkeeper to keep my computer optimized? If it pays to buy a bundle pack like the system works, i know there is many different kinds, what one do you recommend, which have u have the best performance with.

diskkeeper is awesome

regscrubxp works good for registry problems and is free
and ad-aware or spybot for spyware/malware(free also)

Spawne32 said:
Does it really pay to buy a utility program like norton system works or somthing? Or would it be better to just buy individual programs like registry mechanic and diskkeeper to keep my computer optimized? If it pays to buy a bundle pack like the system works, i know there is many different kinds, what one do you recommend, which have u have the best performance with.

Spawne,

Personally with this fairly new build I avoided the Symantec programs. They are large memory and resource hogs. Check out this thread in this part of the forum:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=481858

I think you will find all what you need here such as antvirus and other great utility programs. Most are free and without all the excess baggage of the Symantec programs.

Personally, and it's only my opinion, the Windows disk defragger is as good as Disk Keeper, CCleaner (used with some care) is fine versus Registry Mechanic, Antivir and AVG are both excellent versus Norton Antivirus, Drive Cleaner Pro is great for removing embedded video drivers if you ever change vid cards and drivers, etc.

RollingThunder said:
Spawne,

Personally with this fairly new build I avoided the Symantec programs. They are large memory and resource hogs. Check out this thread in this part of the forum:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=481858

I think you will find all what you need here such as antvirus and other great utility programs. Most are free and without all the excess baggage of the Symantec programs.

Personally, and it's only my opinion, the Windows disk defragger is as good as Disk Keeper, CCleaner (used with some care) is fine versus Registry Mechanic, Antivir and AVG are both excellent versus Norton Antivirus, Drive Cleaner Pro is great for removing embedded video drivers if you ever change vid cards and drivers, etc.

thanks, got some good stuff on there:bday:

Back