• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock/upgrade help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cassiusuk

Hi I currently have a Dell Dimension 9150 with Pentium 4 D (3.2ghz) 940 dual core.

I have 1.5 gig ddr2 ram. And a dell dxp051 motherboard(ive run numerous benchmarks but still dont know what socket it is. I have recently fitted a Nvidia geforce 7900gs pci express with 512 mb ddr3 graphics mem. Samsung SATA 260 gb h/drive. etc.

I want to upgrade what should I next get?, maybe I should try to overclock the 940?, but as its a Dell I think I need a new motherboard/powersupply?.

But maybe I should just get a new motherboard and a core2duo chip?. But would I need a new case as its a dell?, or would the motherboard I have support the core2duo?.

So many questions!!! :-( I do hope you can answer them, I cant really give much more info about the system as its at home and Im at my parents. Help would be very appreciated, merry xmas.

p.s your thoughts on if my computer is ok or not as it is, would also be helpful so I know how good it is.

INFO

cassiusuk said:
Hi I currently have a Dell Dimension 9150 with Pentium 4 D (3.2ghz) 940 dual core.

I have 1.5 gig ddr2 ram. And a dell dxp051 motherboard(ive run numerous benchmarks but still dont know what socket it is. I have recently fitted a Nvidia geforce 7900gs pci express with 512 mb ddr3 graphics mem. Samsung SATA 260 gb h/drive. etc.

I want to upgrade what should I next get?, maybe I should try to overclock the 940?, but as its a Dell I think I need a new motherboard/powersupply?.

But maybe I should just get a new motherboard and a core2duo chip?. But would I need a new case as its a dell?, or would the motherboard I have support the core2duo?.

So many questions!!! :-( I do hope you can answer them, I cant really give much more info about the system as its at home and Im at my parents. Help would be very appreciated, merry xmas.

p.s your thoughts on if my computer is ok or not as it is, would also be helpful so I know how good it is.
Do you think it isn't ok? Is there a reason you are asking? Is it slow? Or do you just have some xmas money to burn?

The socket is a 775. That is the only option for a pentium d 940. They only come in on socket type. Is that what you meant?

Does the motherboard have a number on it? Usually even oem boards can be identified with a model name/number that is printer on it near the memory slots.

Nobody can tell if your motherboard will handle a c2d without the mb number. Unless of course someone has the identical system and chances are they wont know the answers to your questions either.

So if you just want to build a new computer, go about it that way. If your computer does everything you need and is fast enough, leave it alone for a year or so.

Back