• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5N-E SLI NVIDIA nForce 650i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pizzapieguy

Is the ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i any good. I want to know the overclockability, is it stable, good for gaming, and is there any problems with the board.(like over heating)
Thinking about a:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Patriot eXtreme Performance 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 1066 (can it support it)
eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
OCZ GameXStream 700W

Last edited:
take a look at anandtech for a review of the i650 chipset. In short it does the same as the i680 for a much lower price but it "craps" around 500MHz (which is pretty high still) . I'm still between 965p and D600 but if i had to take nvidia in consideration it would be the i650 over the i680. i680 is overrated and overpriced IMHO

Last edited:
I guess im getting this board after all, look how it does against the asus p5b, just about the same!

13267.png

Now look at this quote from the P5N-E SLI review

We dropped the multiplier on our E6600 to seven and were able to reach 502 FSB without an issue. We were able to enter XP at 7x509 and the board would post at 7x519. However, at least with our sample, stability over 504FSB dropped off quickly and we feel like the board was designed with 500FSB in mind but not much more. We have seen user results that are around 480~506FSB with and without additional cooling so we feel confident that our review sample is not "special". We have a full retail kit arriving and will verify our results against it. We will also utilize the retail kit when we have other 650i SLI boards to review. Overall, the overclocking capability surprised us as we initially expected this chipset to be closer to a maximum bus speed of around 450 FSB.

Now im decided, this board being a good ocer and for only $130 looks a no brainer for me. Forget about 680i or 965p.

The new RD600 DFI board looks killer, but i really wont do any use of 550MHz FSB. Its MSRP will be around $229 and i just cant justify $100 more

PhobMX said:
I guess im getting this board after all, look how it does against the asus p5b, just about the same!

13267.png

Now look at this quote from the P5N-E SLI review

Now im decided, this board being a good ocer and for only $130 looks a no brainer for me. Forget about 680i or 965p.

The new RD600 DFI board looks killer, but i really wont do any use of 550MHz FSB. Its MSRP will be around $229 and i just cant justify $100 more

Lol, thats not a fair comparison. A single option in the bios could change those scores totally. But I like it's ocabbility though.. I just wonder if it's solid :rolleyes:

I just got some wintec ddr2 800 , I can't really afford anything better. I'll definitely chime in on my results.

I have the board now and mounted the zalman CNPS9500 today. It looks like a nice board but I am not going any further until I get my memory.

Oh I and I got E6300 with it. Reading about this board is one of the only reasons why i'm going for it now instead of waiting for the E4300.

One Bull said:
Lol, thats not a fair comparison. A single option in the bios could change those scores totally. But I like it's ocabbility though.. I just wonder if it's solid :rolleyes:

care to name an specific option in the bios to back up your statement?

Okay, I got the system assembled and I installed windows. It seemed like everything was functioning properly so I moved the FSB up at about 10 at a time. I was able to successfully boot it up at 500fsb 3500mhz cpu but it wasn't stable. Currently it runs at nearly the same settings at 3200mhz. I ran prime95 there for a little. I am pretty happy with 3200mhz for now as I want to go easy on it for the first week or so. Oh, and the wintec ram I got runs perfectly fine at 800mhz. I'll have to get some of the automatic values before I actually try to change any settings; however, I want to run some benchmarks first.

I got 2 7600GS's and am trying to enable SLI but I cannot find the option in the nvidia control panel. I'm using server 2003... anybody have any idea why I cannot find the SLI settings panel??

brakezone said:
Okay, I got the system assembled and I installed windows. It seemed like everything was functioning properly so I moved the FSB up at about 10 at a time. I was able to successfully boot it up at 500fsb 3500mhz cpu but it wasn't stable. Currently it runs at nearly the same settings at 3200mhz. I ran prime95 there for a little. I am pretty happy with 3200mhz for now as I want to go easy on it for the first week or so. Oh, and the wintec ram I got runs perfectly fine at 800mhz. I'll have to get some of the automatic values before I actually try to change any settings; however, I want to run some benchmarks first.

I got 2 7600GS's and am trying to enable SLI but I cannot find the option in the nvidia control panel. I'm using server 2003... anybody have any idea why I cannot find the SLI settings panel??

i guess you are running ram 1:1 right? to run 500MHz 1:1 you would need some pc8000 ram

I have the ram speed 800mhz. It is set to be independent of the FSB... Its wintec so i don't plan on OCing it

im orderin this board as soon as i get the money released back into my account from a cancelled order when i was trying to price match to futility.

see my thread in general hardware. if all goes well ill be buildin next week with this board.

ordered and on its way with some ocz platinum revision B 6400 ram..

noobie here will try to oc as best as possible on a scythe ninja and give feedback.

Its working pretty good for me, I have booted at 3.5ghz 500fsb. I'm pretty sure it would stabilize with more cpu voltage. I don't really want to push the system so i'm gonna keep it at 3.2ghz. It is extremely fast for me and runs very cool. I did attach a small heatsink to southbridge, anybody who gets this board should consider to do the same as it does get pretty hot.

Its an extremely simple board as you can unlink the FSB from the RAM and crank it up to, in some cases, 500+.

I think as a noobie you will be pleased with this board.

Last edited:
brakezone said:
Its working pretty good for me, I have booted at 3.5ghz 500fsb. I'm pretty sure it would stabilize with more cpu voltage. I don't really want to push the system so i'm gonna keep it at 3.2ghz. It is extremely fast for me and runs very cool. I did attach a small heatsink to southbridge, anybody who gets this board should consider to do the same as it does get pretty hot.

Its an extremely simple board as you can unlink the FSB from the RAM and crank it up to, in some cases, 500+.

actually im after it for the price/performance ratio, looks good now that you state it :)

ill be after your review martian

brakezone said:

recommended heatsink for the chipset? do you just use AS5 as well?

ive oc'd before but nothing serious. on my current p4 2.4c rig i ran it at 3ghz but now it will be my backup pc.

gonna try to get some more headroom out of this e6400 though :santa:

I got this giant zalman thing for the CPU. I put a fan on northbridge cause it really needs it. I put a very small heatsink on the southern chip as it was getting very hot to the touch. After applying the small heatsink it just gets warm.

brakezone said:
I got this giant zalman thing for the CPU. I put a fan on northbridge cause it really needs it. I put a very small heatsink on the southern chip as it was getting very hot to the touch. After applying the small heatsink it just gets warm.

can you tell me what size fan fits on the northbridge?

i have no clue and i want to order one ASAP so it gets here with my other parts. i found a southbridge heatsink easily. i have a scythe ninja comin for the cpu already.

thanks brakezone :)

StrandedMartian said:
can you tell me what size fan fits on the northbridge?

i have no clue and i want to order one ASAP so it gets here with my other parts. i found a southbridge heatsink easily. i have a scythe ninja comin for the cpu already.

thanks brakezone :)

i say use a 60mm fan across the heatsink because 40mm ones tend to be punny and very noisy, also reseat it with AS5 and you'll be fine. (that's what im gonna do)

cool.

ill reseat it with some of my as5.

one last question lol

will a 60mm fan need anything special to mount it?

Back