• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water vs Ultra 120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if it was a dual rad. yea, but it should still beat it. its not the best parts.

i disagree

those are some of the best parts avaiable, except the rad.

drop 50$ and a weekend, and build yourself a bong cooler, you will NOT be dissapointed, and that will certaintly beat any air cooling conceived by man.

i don't like the tdx. nor the bay res. i just don't like those things, i'd rather have a t-line.

but anyways. it'll definantly beat out a ultra-120, but i would sell the rad, and get a dual or tripple.

I knew this was a "nub" question as I have water cooled before... thinking I am going to do it right this time and get a Strom... had an Apogee and honestly it didn't do much better than the TT block I had.

??? apogee's are a great block. i think something else was at fault in your last system.

I know it is a great block... but the Storm is better and if I go water I think I am going to do it "right" as in the best that is in a reasonable price range... Honstly my 165 is @ 2.7 now on air so I cannot complain...

Well as of right now I am thinking about removing the IHS. I dunno yet... not sure I am going to move back to water right now... I would like to but I just don't know yet...

Well Takeing the IHS off is easy =) Have done it to a few chips now . And for wate cooling I dont plan on ever going back to Air . Especial on the vid card Droped my temps 30 deg on my card .

Well I as well want to water cool my video card... planning on getting a DX10 card in the next few months so I am kind of waiting on that to upgrade my cooling also...

I am not saying removing the IHS is hard... I have no problem doing that but I tend to be careless when mounting my HSFs/water blocks so I am afraid I will drop a block or something on that chip and shatter it...

The nice thing about the Apogee/Storm mount is the screws - just sit the block on the chip and evenly tighten both sides, no excess stress on the chip from spring clips. It was a very tense moment for me as I mounted the Ninja onto my de-lidded 4400 - no cam even! Next up is a Storm for it.

And if you're going with GPU cooling you'll definitely want at least a dual rad - but you knew that ... ;)

yea, mounting on bare chips is scary, on my vid card 2 of the 4 cornes chipped off, but barely anything. i have no clue how, but i think it did it while taking off the vf-700cu for a reseat.

but the card still works perfectly fine and the reaseat helped the temps by 4 degrees c. i don't know how, but i really screwed up the first mount lol.

I have done a lot of vid cards and skt a's but AFAIK these chips have much more fragile cores b/c they were designed for an IHS.

Back