• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

higher cfm fans question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Zoinks, those temps are fairly high for water. Unless it's just that hot where you have the computer. I think you'd see a dramatic decrease in temps with those fans.

But keep in mind that the increase in noise will be just as dramatic. I'd also buy a fan controller so you can turn the fans down to an acceptable noise level.

dont go overboard, 220CFM fans are wicked LOUD!!

its hard to say exactly how many C's your going to go down, but i agree, it should be a *VERY* noticeable upgrade. (60C load is worse than my FOLDing rig e6600 @ 3.6GHz on AIR :eek: )

assuming the Zalman fans are 25mm thick, *ANY* 38mm thick 120 would be an improvement (thicker fan = more pressure = more CFM that actually gets THROUGH the rad) i dont think you need to go >100 CFM, id bet 2x 70-80 CFM (38mm thick) 120s would give you a NICE temp drop.

another possible way to upgrade here would be to add 2x more "low" speed fans to your current setup thus creating 4x fans in a "push/pull" configuration.

just keep in mind: no mater how good your water loop is, its the AIR that ends up taking the heat away... more CFM = better cooling.

Last edited:
QuietIce said:
Jeez man, even the Sunbeam controllers won't handle THAT load ...! :eek:

thats why the company that sells them solders on a 3-pin for speed control and a 4-pin for power:eek:

but i was just thinking... you could probably blow a bad power supply with 5 or 6 of those monsters (assuming they draw from the 12v rail)

4od said:
thats why the company that sells them solders on a 3-pin for speed control and a 4-pin for power:eek:

but i was just thinking... you could probably blow a bad power supply with 5 or 6 of those monsters (assuming they draw from the 12v rail)

Maybe 5 of those=12.25A off your 12v line or 147w.

For good fans I like Nidec Beta Vs but they are hard to find, so I would say to find a Sunbeam Reobus and a couple of Delta WFBs or Panflows.

If you want to improve your airflow, make sure you get 38mm thick fans and use a shroud. Those two alone are going to net you better performance, even if you don't change the airflow. Specifically, I would get a pair of medium-speed Panaflos or some of the Sanyo Denki 120x38mm's. As you head up into the 100CFM+ range, you're going to start to see some very limited returns. I don't think you need something that powerful.

http://www.svc.com/fba12g24m.html

Since your temps seem a little bit high, you might want to double-check your block mounting and thermal paste application. What pump are you using, and what other blocks beside the CPU block are in the loop?

if i had 5 delta's in a case, i would probably shoot myself from the noise, it would be like 2 vacum cleaners running 24/7 in my room

darkcow said:
if i had 5 delta's in a case, i would probably shoot myself from the noise, it would be like 2 vacum cleaners running 24/7 in my room

I ran 6 Nidec Beta Vs at 7v for the whole summer and it really wasn't loud.

Also the absolute best option for cooling would be a blower.

i reseated the cpu block about 10times already with diff methods of applying as5 and nothing improved.

my pump is the mcw655 or something haha from the swiftech apex ultra h20-220 kit

(Clanger)(DOA) said:

Yeah, on a more serious note, i would go with these, i have 2 of thhe 80mm version of these, and they blow a lot of air and are easily the least-noisy fans in my case, the motors are absolutely silent, so all the noise is air movement, which is much softer on the ears, thus you will percieve them as quieter than they are due to no high-pitch motor noise.

4od said:
Warning: Do not connect high power fans directly to your motherboard header or fan controller as damage may result.
http://www.pccasegear.com/prod2431.htm

That doesn't mean you can't find a controller for them but you would have to look beyond the computer world for it ...

come on guys, if he wanted 200+ CFM / 60 dBa fans, i highly doubt he'd start with 40 CFM Zalman's.

aside from benching or "server" rooms, i think anyone would be crazy to go > 45 dBa

i wonder just how many of you have actually had a 60 dBa fan in the same room... trust me (i HAVE) you DONT want them!

:beer:

Last edited:
the noisest fans I ever had were 2 tornados I had in my AXP-m system , It would give you a head ach after a while .

Back