• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokitexas

I ordered the MCP655 pump, and a PA 120.2.

I just now noticed the MCP655 comes with 1/2 ID fittings...I have 3/8 ID fitting on my blocks and the new rad coming in. Can this pump take different fittings? It doesnt seem like it. I personally like the 3/8 over the 1/2 so I am curious, anyone know a solution for this problem?

I'd recommend finding some 1/2" to 1/2" plastic fittings from your local hardware store and some short lengths of 1/2" ID tubing. Anything other than Tygon 3/8" is going to be difficult to stretch over the MCP655s high flow barbs due to the fact that they're not tapered like on regular 1/2" barbs.

You might be able to get 3/8" on it but it'll take a long soak in very hot water and some kind of pick or small tool to help it over the flare. Even 1/2" tubing is tight on the MCP655/D5.

I'd take Mav's advise and go with a plastic reducer if you have the space. What are you using for a res/T-line? Could the outlet side of it be fitted with 1/2" ...?

Last edited:
Maviryk said:
I'd recommend finding some 1/2" to 1/2" plastic fittings from your local hardware store and some short lengths of 1/2" ID tubing. Anything other than Tygon 3/8" is going to be difficult to stretch over the MCP655s high flow barbs due to the fact that they're not tapered like on regular 1/2" barbs.

1/2" to 1/2" fittings? Any possible way to show me a picture of what you mean so I know what to look for? I am not quite sure I undersstand. :)

It's a double ended barb, used to join a pair of 1/2" ID tubing sections together.

You would use one end to connect to the MCP655s high flow barbs via an inch of 1/2" ID tubing, and stretch the 3/8" ID primoflex over the 1/2" barb on the other side. If that's still too hard to stretch over then just use a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer fitting.

Primoflex is not the best choice for stretched tubing. You'd never be able to pull it off easily once you get it on.

yea, that'll work, but later on you might want to consider transfering everything to 1/2 barbs. but its up to you.

lokitexas said:
I hope this pump will perform better than my MCP350 to go to the trouble :)

Why are you going from an MCP350 to a MCP655 in a 3/8 system... It just does not make sense to me. If you have a 3/8" system you might as well stick with a 3/8" pump. If you were going to upgrade to 1/2" it doesn't make sense to get the MCP655 even then, just get a new top for your MCP350 that takes 1/2" barbs.

Immortal_Hero said:
Why are you going from an MCP350 to a MCP655 in a 3/8 system... It just does not make sense to me. If you have a 3/8" system you might as well stick with a 3/8" pump. If you were going to upgrade to 1/2" it doesn't make sense to get the MCP655 even then, just get a new top for your MCP350 that takes 1/2" barbs.

I was under the impression that the 350 couldnt handle a dual rad, a CPU block, Chipset block, and in the future 2 GPU blocks. So I figured I might as well get a more powerful pump now, so I dont need to worry about it later.

And I personally dont like the 1/2" tubing. Looks too bulky IMO.

And finally, I am totally new at doing anything to my PC. I dont know anyone that works on PC's, and I have limited knowledge on these topics.

Anyway, that should answer your question hehe.

Primoflex is not the best choice for stretched tubing. You'd never be able to pull it off easily once you get it on.

Strange, my Primoflex is so easy to remove, way easier then any other tubing I've ever used, including PVC, Tygon, braided Cant imagine why yours is hard to remove :confused:

calvin said:
Strange, my Primoflex is so easy to remove, way easier then any other tubing I've ever used, including PVC, Tygon, braided Cant imagine why yours is hard to remove :confused:
He was talking about putting 3/8" tubing on 1/2" barbs...

lokitexas said:
I was under the impression that the 350 couldnt handle a dual rad, a CPU block, Chipset block, and in the future 2 GPU blocks. So I figured I might as well get a more powerful pump now, so I dont need to worry about it later.

And I personally dont like the 1/2" tubing. Looks too bulky IMO.

And finally, I am totally new at doing anything to my PC. I dont know anyone that works on PC's, and I have limited knowledge on these topics.

Anyway, that should answer your question hehe.
350 with a modded top is as if not more powerful than a MCP655. Better head pressure so it will handle restriction better and a comparable flow rate but you need to do 1/2 tubing. Well I like 7/16" ID 5/8" OD Masterkleer on 1/2" barbs my self. It is a good balance between the two. Besides if you want performance like you are talking with all those blocks you would scrap the looks difference between 3/8" and 1/2" and use what performs better. I would also skip the chipset block as they add a lot of restriction and can be a pain to plumb.

Immortal_Hero said:
350 with a modded top is as if not more powerful than a MCP655. Better head pressure so it will handle restriction better and a comparable flow rate but you need to do 1/2 tubing. Well I like 7/16" ID 5/8" OD Masterkleer on 1/2" barbs my self. It is a good balance between the two. Besides if you want performance like you are talking with all those blocks you would scrap the looks difference between 3/8" and 1/2" and use what performs better. I would also skip the chipset block as they add a lot of restriction and can be a pain to plumb.

I might go with the 1/2 down the road I guess. I WC'd the chipset because it was such a loud little fan on my other mobo. I seem to change gfx cards too much, so I have been putting off WCing them.

And...what do you mean by "plumb"? I am not familair with that term.

"Plumb" as in plumbing, in our case routing the tubing. It's sometimes a trick to get a good, smooth run from the CPU to the GPU block. Stopping in the middle of that for a chipset block is more than twice as hard because the distances are so short. Most tubing won't make the bend without kinking so something special often needs to be added like an elbow or over-large loop ...

Back