• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965-ds3 vs s3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
so my gf got me a 965-s3 for christmas, even tho I had the ds3 on my wishlist. She got it from compusa, so it was already overpriced and the salesguy told her it was the same as the ds3. I know that I've had at least one discussion about the difference on here before, but it basically came down to the DS3 has 3 more solid capacitors on it than the s3 does. Is there any other difference than that? If I choose to upgrade my d 805 to a conroe in the future, will the differences between s3 and the ds3 become more apparent?

I'm thinking I might have my gf return the board anyway and buy it from Newegg, because the DS3 at newegg is $10 cheaper than the S3 at compusa. So it's a win-win.

splat said:
so my gf got me a 965-s3 for christmas, even tho I had the ds3 on my wishlist. She got it from compusa, so it was already overpriced and the salesguy told her it was the same as the ds3. I know that I've had at least one discussion about the difference on here before, but it basically came down to the DS3 has 3 more solid capacitors on it than the s3 does. Is there any other difference than that? If I choose to upgrade my d 805 to a conroe in the future, will the differences between s3 and the ds3 become more apparent?

I'm thinking I might have my gf return the board anyway and buy it from Newegg, because the DS3 at newegg is $10 cheaper than the S3 at compusa. So it's a win-win.

The capacitors on the DS3 provide a higher degree of reliability (life expectancy). But theoretically that only matters if you are going to keep the system for many, many years. I know how you feel though. I bought the DS3 over the S3 even though I knew the capacitor thing was a bit of hype...I just felt better...they must have been failing or they wouldn't have changed. There is a new DS3P rev 2 which is supposed to be much better for overclocking...(it is the one with PCI 16x slots). It fixes a problem that a bios upgrade could not fix. I haven't seen it for sale in the states yet.

Last edited:
when i said "3 more solid caps", I meant to say "every cap on the board is solid." I do see this board lasting me a long time, probably taking me in to C2D in the future. And I was mistaken, the s3 was $15 more expensive at compusa than the ds3 at newegg. It's too bad that rev 2 isn't in the US yet, but I did look over the board on gigabyte's website, and it looks like there is only a few changes in the board layout but no changes to features, unless I missed something.

as long as it can handle voltage better than my abit il8, i'll be happy.

the 965p-ds3 (rev 2) is available in the states because my rma'd revision 1 came back a 2 with the f7 bios. Came from newegg's jersey warehouse.

To add: if you check the newegg customer reviews on the ds3 board you will see the most recent ds3's are all coming revision 2 and folks are having lots less problems with them.

my ds3 is shipping from TN, so we'll see which it is when it gets here.

viking12344 said:
the 965p-ds3 (rev 2) is available in the states because my rma'd revision 1 came back a 2 with the f7 bios. Came from newegg's jersey warehouse.

To add: if you check the newegg customer reviews on the ds3 board you will see the most recent ds3's are all coming revision 2 and folks are having lots less problems with them.
Sweet ! I am going to be ordering my later today. Hopefully I get a Rev 2 board.

Back