• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-E over P5B-dlx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ixq

Registered
i ordered a Asus P5B-dlx 2 days ago. but today i got a P5B-E version.. and did only pay the P5B-E price..

so now im wondering is it worth keeping for OC of my E6400 cpu? or should i just send it back and get the dlx version..:confused:

Thanks

ixq said:
i ordered a Asus P5B-dlx 2 days ago. but today i got a P5B-E version.. and did only pay the P5B-E price..

so now im wondering is it worth keeping for OC of my E6400 cpu? or should i just send it back and get the dlx version..:confused:

Thanks

i'm very interested in your results, I still have to justify spending $30 more just for an aditional PCI-E slot that i might never use (I'm anti crossfire/SLI)

i read the anandtech review again and it looks like both offer roughly the same OC features, since i have an audigy x-fi i'd get the cheapest for sure:

If you are looking to get the highest possible overclocking results with an E6300 or E6400 processor then we would recommend the ASUS P5B-E 1.02G at this time. Of course it is not available yet (it will be shortly) and unless you have expensive PC2-8000 RAM then chances of going over 500FSB are not that great with the ASUS P5B-E 1.01G board. However, it is hard to complain about the ASUS 1.01G board with 7x490FSB results using mid-range PC2-6400 memory. Even though we no longer care for the base ASUS color scheme (please switch to black across the board) we really found this board to be a significant improvement over the P5-B when overclocking.

We should of course wait for real consumer reviews in the forums, but that mobo looks nice.

If you got a 1.02g keep it for sure. The difference iirc is higher max vMem. You may want to get some better cooling, as in some 40mm fans, on the chipset heatsinks and make sure you have generally good airflow in the case.

when is the 1.02G being released, I am thinking of buying this board, but would like the new revision.

my board is running super fine.. its all air cooled atm. but tahts going to change in the next month.. so far the P5B-e is just perfect for my setup.

so how do we get our hands on a 1.02G and where is it writen? on the box or on the board itself? I myself am having a dilema with what board to choose.

I don't need dual pci express slots, I want to overclock, but I won't kill it. The Deluxe is having major issues with onboard sound...I know its not a huge deal but if I am getting on board sound, I don't feel like having another card in there to block airflow and waste my money.

Here's my new build that I am making.

Asus P5B-E???
C2D 6400
8800 GTS or GTX, not sure yet.
Lian-Li PC-60B Plus II
Corsair PC6400C4 2GB RAM
2 Hard Drives, one Raptor, one Storage
OCZ 700W GXS, bought already $115CND with rebates.

Please help me too, I really want to make a decission soon, this system has been in the making for months.

Thanks.

Pepi93 said:
The Deluxe is having major issues with onboard sound...I know its not a huge deal but if I am getting on board sound, ...

2 Hard Drives, one Raptor, one Storage

What major issues? It has a slightly better codec than the E board.

Why the Raptor? Matrix raid with two 7200.10 16MB 320GB Seagate drives sounds cheaper, faster, bigger.

PhobMX said:
any proof?

Anandtech mentioned a sound issue but it wasn't specific and was last October. I haven't been looking around for any other discussion on it but I'd like to hear more about it.

Is that what you were asking too? Or were you asking for proof that 320GB is bigger than 70GB?

Last edited:
DeepScience said:
What major issues? It has a slightly better codec than the E board.

Why the Raptor? Matrix raid with two 7200.10 16MB 320GB Seagate drives sounds cheaper, faster, bigger.

OT: I'll choose the raptor over any raid (except maybe 2 raided raptors :D)

DeepScience said:
Or were you asking for proof that 320GB is bigger than 70GB?

yep, last time i checked RPM and seek time is king against any RAID 2405U8254489743985 setup you can think of... unless it does different with "Matrix RAID"

It's just i've seen lots of people around the forums stating the same without any proof / direct comparison

PhobMX said:
yep, last time i checked RPM and seek time is king against any RAID 2405U8254489743985 setup you can think of... unless it does different with "Matrix RAID"

It's just i've seen lots of people around the forums stating the same without any proof / direct comparison

Ah ok, fair enough. You hadn't said what you were referring to which didn't make it a helpful post at all. I thought it was the version B codec you might have referred to.

For the HDD, I was thinking of overall cost-benefit. Cheaper and bigger seems to me to be obvious.

Bing's thread here related to my speed comment. Where JeffP83 states, "That RAID0 setup spanks my two ADFD Rap's in read MB/sec.. those 7200.10's are definetely impressive!"

So average seek time may still be down but it still doesn't look like a bad option for those on a budget.

Back