• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone read the latest PC Magazine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Femto

I have subscription to PC Magazine, I scored it after some sweet deal on Newegg or something like that.

Anyway, the latest issue is all about Vista. It was a great read. Taught me a lot about Vista, I didn't know jack until I read it lol, I swear it must've been over 20 pages all about Vista.

An interesting security feature...

pg. 89 Even more important, though, are the obstacles that Kernel Patch Protection, aka PatchGuard, raises. PatchGuard completely locks down the core components of Vista, preventing any and all modifications. If malware somehow breaches the containment vessel and taints the kernel, PatchGuard kills off the intrusion by deliberately crashing the system. Rootkits won't be able to hide by subverting the Windows kernel. Vista will be more secure and stable because the most important system elements can't be changed. Sounds great!

I can see pros and cons to PatchGuard. Pros are obvious, no malware can modify your kernel. The cons of course, are, how bad would it suck if someone wrote a virus to constantly attack the kernel. Unending shutdowns...:mad: Great job, Microsoft. Also, says Microsoft, what if, we say our security is so good that you won't need Anti-Virus software. Ugh, bad move.

Security Vendors Speak Out

What do big-name security companies think about Microsoft's becoming a big-name security company? We called them to find out.

Here's a quote from the section.

They don't yet have the wide variety of security programs or techniques that users have long had access to. We have years of experience providing security software and protecting users, and Microsoft is a novice in the field. They're just joining in. We welcome that, but we want them to play fairly-in terms of the operating system and especially in terms of the operating system's kernel. - George Heron, chief scientist, McAfee.

Microsoft = n00bs at security, lawl :D

Also, according to IDC, in 2002, 81% of homes were running XP, and 58% of businesses were running XP.

According to that data, they projected facts for 2007.

91% of homes will be running Vista, and only 35% of businesses will be running Vista.

Just thought that was interesting.

The article has three main sections, "The Insider's Guide to Windows Vista", "Vista Changes Everything" and "Vista at Work" - All three were very interesting and I highly suggest you go pick up the magazine if you haven't.

Last edited:
Femto said:
I have subscription to PC Magazine, I scored it after some sweet deal on Newegg or something like that.

I can see pros and cons to PatchGuard. Pros are obvious, no malware can modify your kernel. The cons of course, are, how bad would it suck if someone wrote a virus to constantly attack the kernel. Unending shutdowns...:mad: Great job, Microsoft. Also, says Microsoft, what if, we say our security is so good that you won't need Anti-Virus software. Ugh, bad move.

Security Vendors Speak Out

What do big-name security companies think about Microsoft's becoming a big-name security company? We called them to find out.

Here's a quote from the section.

They don't yet have the wide variety of security programs or techniques that users have long had access to. We have years of experience providing security software and protecting users, and Microsoft is a novice in the field. They're just joining in. We welcome that, but we want them to play fairly-in terms of the operating system and especially in terms of the operating system's kernel. - George Heron, chief scientist, McAfee.

Microsoft = n00bs at security, lawl :D

Well McAfee should talk, them and Symantec sell the biggest bloatware and resource hogs you can buy. Geoge Heron should be more concerned about fixing what he has now and be concerned about fixing what he hopes to make. Did anyone ever try a clean uninstall of Norton AV or McAfee? Good luck.

MS may be a "noob" in many areas but what people don't realize is that they can recruit the best programmers from anywhere, pay them 50% more than they are making now and pay their expenses to move to Redmond. That's what bloatware firms like McAfee are concerned about.

Microsoft learns very well.

How can AV companies like Antivir, AVG, Bitdefender make AV programs that are as good or better than McAfee and it only takes up 20% of the hard drive's real estate that Norton and McAfee need, if that? Some of them are free fer chrissakes! And you can actually uninstall them too and you don't have to be a "Chief Scientist" to do it either. :)

Back