• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLEASE someone help! Multipme major problems! No one can figure it out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

Ok I am having many various random problems with Windows XP home. I have been having these problems for about a month so two weeks ago I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows. Well the problems still exist!!!! I don’t know how this is possible because I did a full reformat on my hard drive and thus the drive was erased clean. Last time I checked reformatting your drives and reinstalling Windows fixes 100% of software problems not related to a compatibility issue. So this one has severally stumped me.

Ok these are the main problems I am having.

When I try to shut down Windows sometimes I get this message:

windowscrashyp3.jpg

Directly after I get that message I get the “this program has encountered an error and needs to close” message and it lists Explorer as the program that needs to close. I am talking about the general error that asks if you want to send an error report and what not. After I click “don’t send report” I get my desktop again and I have to choose shut down again before it will shut down.

The next problem is that sometimes when I open one of my folders that has lost of video files in it I get this message:

foldercrashut0.jpg

And generally when I exit the message it pops right back up and I have to click close 15 times before it will go away. Sometimes it won’t go away until I close the folder with the videos.

The next problem I am having is that sometimes I will be doing something (anything) and the mouse pointer will randomly jump to somewhere on the monitor (generally in a corner). It will only do it once but its very annoying when playing games.

The next problem I am having is related to my dual monitors setup. I have things set up so that the start menu is on my left monitor and the right monitor is in the extended desktop mode. Well sometimes I will restart my computer and find that the start menu and desktop icons are on the right monitor. So I go into the display properties menu and for the life of me I can’t get it to go back to the other monitor. So the only thing I can do is switch my monitor DVI cables.

The start menu keeps switching monitors. I had to switch the DVI cables not for the second time in tow days.

Also some of my desktop icons are gone. I just restarted the computer and half the icons are gone.

I already checked for viruses and adware / spyware and I got nothing.

WTF could possible be doing all this even after I completely reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows?

Here is a list of most of the programs that are on my computer now that was also on my computer before I reformatted the drive:

-MSN Messenger
-Yahoo Messenger
-Lime Wire Pro
-Aim Messenger
-Gaim
-F.E.A.R. Combat
-UltraMon
-Starcraft
-AVG Free
-Adaware SE
-Total Video player
-Windows Media Player 11
-Adobe Acrobat
-ATI Catalyst Control

Also my CPU is overclocked. Its OC’ed to 380 FSB or 3.04 GHz. However last night I ran ORTHOS for 9 hours and 9 minutes with the “blend” option selected and the system passed. It said:

Type: Blend - stress CPU and RAM Min: 8 Max: 4096 InPlace: No Mem: 1791 Time: 15
CPU: 3039MHz FSB: 380MHz [379MHz x 8.0 est.]
CPU: 3040MHz FSB: 380MHz [380MHz x 8.0 est.]
12/24/2006 4:36 PM
Launching 2 threads...
Using CPU #0
Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
Press Stop to end this test.

And when I stopped:
Torture Test ran 9 hours, 9 minutes 27 seconds - 0 errors, 0 warnings.

Also my ram is underclocked to 740 MHz. To keep a 1:1 ratio. The PCI-E slot is locked at 100 MHz. And the GPU is not OC’ed.

try having a mod move this to the microsoft operating system section you might more help.

i would guess reformating would fix that problem but you probably dont want to do that

Sounds like some sort of instability. Try bare minimum first, HDD, one stick of ram, CPU, Video card. Stock clocks, different HDD, different power supply?

I KNOW WHAT IT IS!

Well, not exactly. Its a corrupt file. Thats all I know, it happend to me once. I tried everything; from XP repair and sys restore. You will need to reformat and reinstall XP.

I would say format again, but install next to nothing, just enough to get you by day to day for a while. See if you still have the problem. Start installing the rest of your software one at a time, if you get the problem, use a restore point to go back, see if it goes away.

I'd go with the format again styles man, that sounds like a corrupt system file. Could try a repair on the OS install again, I'm not sure myself.

Ok well apparently not everyone read my full post. So I will copy the relevent part from the orginal post here: :)

I have been having these problems for about a month so two weeks ago I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows. Well the problems still exist!!!! I don’t know how this is possible because I did a full reformat on my hard drive and thus the drive was erased clean.

I did that about a week and a half ago.

Well, some of us did and the solution would be to format again :p (this is from me, i understand if you don't want to do it again :D). Usually Data Execution Prevention pops up when a file/program attempts to access protect system files (Software Hive/Registry). As noted before you could try a repair on the install. You co uld try the following steps I found on an MS site, I'm not sure wether is is wise to change the DEP settings though: :)

If you are logged on as an administrator, you can manually configure DEP to switch between the OptIn and OptOut policies by using the Data Execution Prevention tab in System Properties. The following procedure describes how to manually configure DEP on the computer: 1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3. On the Data Execution Prevention tab, use one of the following procedures:
• Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only to select the OptIn policy.
• Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy, and then click Add to add the programs that you do not want to use the DEP feature.

4. Click OK two times.

I found this on the following URL:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

May pay to have a look at it in its entirety, might help.. Also with the video files I assume you're using Total Video Player? Does this happen when you use WMP or Media Player Classic?

I got a Hijackthis log. This is it:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:51:53 PM, on 12/28/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMonTaskbar.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Gaim\gaim.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Sayar\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.032\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/index.php
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GBB36X Configure] C:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidTool.exe boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UltraMon] "C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe" /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RAM Idle] C:\Program Files\Customizer XP\RAM_2K.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Scan Server (bdss) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BitDefender Communicator (XCOMM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe" /service (file missing)

I DO NOT have any spyware / aware or viruses. I did a full system scan of both drives with AVG, AD-Aware SE, BitDefender, CounterSpy, and Avast. They all came back clean.

Also I turned the overclock off and things were terribly slow. I could barely surf the net. Things were extremely slow and sometimes I couldn’t even open Internet Explorer. Further more some programs randomly stopped responding and crashed. I also still had the Windows data execution error with all stock settings.

I have re overclocked my CPU because I cant operate with the overclock off.

But still even with the overclock on things are slower and more laggy then normal.

Goateh, the problem is not with the player its with either the folder or more likely Windows. The error comes up before I even open a file. I have never had any problems actually playing the files. And the problem only comes up about one every 50 times I open the folder with the files in it.

Okay, if you're having problems running XP with your rig without an overclock, SOMETHING is wrong. Extremely wrong. My dad's 550mhz Katmai P3 with 384MB ram can handle XP just fine. With spyware/adware and such.

I'd highly suggest another reformat. Maybe zero the drive completely, then format and install windows. Something just sounds wrong with the windows install.

Try different hardware if need be.

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB/
RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2 (dual channel configuration)
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II
HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. (RAID 0?)
OD: 52X DVD±RW
Monitor: (2) Hanns-G 19" DVI LCD widescreen in extended desktop mode
This is a hardware issue and not a software issue (unless your install CD is scratched or a bad copy).If you are OCed at all, you need to return to stock speeds to reinstall XP. Have you tried running memtest86+? Try running it to see if there are any errors. Memory errors will really bork an OS installation. The CPU can be overheating and cause errors (heat sink seating problems). The hard drive can be slowly failing and cause these errors, etc. Bad intermittent cables, dirty contacts, bad or overheating chipset, power supply issues, are all power cables connected as per the motherboard manual?, etc.

You need to completely and thoroughly recheck each component on you computer/cards to make sure they aren't over heating, have good and clean electrical contact with the sockets, etc.

Back