• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a new motherboard, I have been reading all threads and am completly confused!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bal`thzar

need a new motherboard, I have been reading all threads and am completly confused!!!

ok guys I need help here I have been reading and reading and reading and am getting nowhere fast.

here is what I am doing

this is a higher end Home Theater PC.

I have a 840EE CPU laying around that I am going to use in it. I want to be able to upgrade to Conroe if I ever get the urge.

I have a 7800GTX to drop in it and will most likly NEVER go SLI with it but I will be getting a DX 10 card eventually.

I will be running a SATA2 3.0gb 400gig drive in it

I will be doing NO over clocking on this.

I will be running VISTA on this (eventually)

I am looking for a budget board, but I have always prefered ASUS, but I am open to reccomendations.

I am looking for a board with either good sound, or NO sound (I will get a card if need be) I will be connecting it to a Receiver via TOS link digital cable.

can I PLEASE get some reccomendations on board and RAM 2x1gig I dont' want to spend more than $150 on the board. and I would like to keep the ram at under 200 if possible.

help a brother out guys.

Bal`thzar said:
ok guys I need help here I have been reading and reading and reading and am getting nowhere fast.

here is what I am doing

this is a higher end Home Theater PC.

I have a 840EE CPU laying around that I am going to use in it. I want to be able to upgrade to Conroe if I ever get the urge.

I have a 7800GTX to drop in it and will most likly NEVER go SLI with it but I will be getting a DX 10 card eventually.

I will be running a SATA2 3.0gb 400gig drive in it

I will be doing NO over clocking on this.

I will be running VISTA on this (eventually)

I am looking for a budget board, but I have always prefered ASUS, but I am open to reccomendations.

I am looking for a board with either good sound, or NO sound (I will get a card if need be) I will be connecting it to a Receiver via TOS link digital cable.

can I PLEASE get some reccomendations on board and RAM 2x1gig I dont' want to spend more than $150 on the board. and I would like to keep the ram at under 200 if possible.

help a brother out guys.

Your best best right now is the intel 965p chipset. Its cheap and overclocks swell if you ever want to do it. I noted you dont wanna oc, so i guess pretty much any reputable brand mobo will do (Anything but PCChips or ECS i.e.). Now that you prefer asus, you might want to take a look to the Asus p5b, there are like 3 versions of it, the cheapest might suit your needs and still carry some oc power.

I'm after a high end gaming system, thus i don't have any bang for the buck 2x1GB kits in mind, take a look at the memory subforum for more info.

Bal`thzar said:
no tos link optical out. if I go that route then I spend about another $75 for a sound card then I am back at the same price as one of the P5W-DH's

aye, i have an x-fi so i dont have to worry. I never rely on onboard sound no matter if it supports a gigazilion channels but thats just me.

Back