• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with choosing a mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glasszon

Right now I am thinking to upgrade from my Athlon 64 3000+ to a Conroe E6600, can anyone please recommend me a good overclockable mobo that can uses DDR ram rather than DDR2? Since if I can find a good mobo that does that, most likely I will pass on DDR2 and the next time I upgrade, hopefully it will be DDR3.:bday:

Btw, sorry if this question was frequently asked, it's really hard to view the forum right now, thanks to the earthquake that hit near Taiwan earlier and manage to broke lots of undersea cables......

glasszon said:
Right now I am thinking to upgrade from my Athlon 64 3000+ to a Conroe E6600, can anyone please recommend me a good overclockable mobo that can uses DDR ram rather than DDR2? Since if I can find a good mobo that does that, most likely I will pass on DDR2 and the next time I upgrade, hopefully it will be DDR3.:bday:

Btw, sorry if this question was frequently asked, it's really hard to view the forum right now, thanks to the earthquake that hit near Taiwan earlier and manage to broke lots of undersea cables......

AFAIK, theres no chipset that will do C2D and DDR1

DDR2 is worth the improvement over DDR1 in my opinion.

Also, since we're no longer in the clock race for processors, the inevitably higher latencies from DDR3 will probably not be offset by any significant degree by gains in throughput.

@PhobMX: I read some PC magizine earlier and they just reviewed an ASRock mobo which support ddr with conroe, but I am looking for a better one since the review also said that mobo doesn't allow overclocking. (Since I am sure it won't be too nice to "downgrade" from a DFI NF4 mobo to ASRock mobo......)

@Vipasnipa: I know, but I really can't afford DDR2 ram right now, since I also need a new graphic card and the budget doesn't quite allow that. :(

glasszon said:
@PhobMX: I read some PC magizine earlier and they just reviewed an ASRock mobo which support ddr with conroe, but I am looking for a better one since the review also said that mobo doesn't allow overclocking. (Since I am sure it won't be too nice to "downgrade" from a DFI NF4 mobo to ASRock mobo......)

@Vipasnipa: I know, but I really can't afford DDR2 ram right now, since I also need a new graphic card and the budget doesn't quite allow that. :(

I really dont pay attention to dirt cheap hardware since its just that: dirt!

The prices of ddr2 ram are already low enough, just sell your ddr1 memory and invest a little $ for ddr2.

Note that even though ddr3 is around the corner, you would still need to wait for prices to drop and hardware vendors effectively make use of the technology. As vipasnipa said, it doesnt look clear how or when thats gonna happen now that cpus power relies on multiple cores and IPC enhancements.

seems this is the mobo you are looking for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092&ATT=13-157-092&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

BUT PLEASE PLEASE take a look at this thread before ordering:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=492745

average stock performance, poor-mild overclocking. I've never been in favor of close upgrades, so if you plan to do the switch to c2d just do it right and get a p5n-e SLI and ddr2 ram, that will let you compete with high end systems at low price. My .0000000002

PhobMX said:
seems this is the mobo you are looking for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092&ATT=13-157-092&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

BUT PLEASE PLEASE take a look at this thread before ordering:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=492745

average stock performance, poor-mild overclocking. I've never been in favor of close upgrades, so if you plan to do the switch to c2d just do it right and get a p5n-e SLI and ddr2 ram, that will let you compete with high end systems at low price. My .0000000002

So you think it's better for me to get a better mobo and a new DDR2 ram instead of upgrading my graphic card from Raedon x800 XL to Geforce 8800 GTS? Either way I will get Conroe, but I can't sell my old computer item to help cover the cost because there's simply no market for those kind of stuff in New Zealand and I will have to sell it really cheaply if I do sell it in NZ.

Btw, thanks for the help so far.:beer:

glasszon said:
So you think it's better for me to get a better mobo and a new DDR2 ram instead of upgrading my graphic card from Raedon x800 XL to Geforce 8800 GTS? Either way I will get Conroe, but I can't sell my old computer item to help cover the cost because there's simply no market for those kind of stuff in New Zealand and I will have to sell it really cheaply if I do sell it in NZ.

Btw, thanks for the help so far.:beer:

if your motherboard supports pci-e the 8800GTS will definitely be a noticeable change. Upgrade the rest whenever you can, q2 2007 would be a good idea because of the announced price drop.

On your old hardware issue... what do you prefer? a little $ or a bunch of oudated hardware in the closet? I'd sell no matter how "cheap" it is, try ebay :)

PhobMX said:
if your motherboard supports pci-e the 8800GTS will definitely be a noticeable change. Upgrade the rest whenever you can, q2 2007 would be a good idea because of the announced price drop.

On your old hardware issue... what do you prefer? a little $ or a bunch of oudated hardware in the closet? I'd sell no matter how "cheap" it is, try ebay :)

Thanks for the help, lucky I don't have to worry about this issue any more since I got given a computer as xmas present and I am allowed to design my own hardware! I should be back with the specs and screenshots with the overclocks once I got my water-cooling loop complete on my new computer.:bday:

About ebay though, I guess I will try but some of the stuff are REALLY old and I am not sure I can sell it for anything, since shipping from NZ to places like US is really expensive, it won't be surprising for some of the price of the things I wanted to sell to be below the shipping cost.:eek:

glasszon said:
Thanks for the help, lucky I don't have to worry about this issue any more since I got given a computer as xmas present and I am allowed to design my own hardware! I should be back with the specs and screenshots with the overclocks once I got my water-cooling loop complete on my new computer.:bday:

About ebay though, I guess I will try but some of the stuff are REALLY old and I am not sure I can sell it for anything, since shipping from NZ to places like US is really expensive, it won't be surprising for some of the price of the things I wanted to sell to be below the shipping cost.:eek:

i meant ebay new zealand lol! i do the same thing, i buy from US but sell here in mexico.

If your going to get a motherboard and using it for SLI make sure you get one that HAS 2 x 16x PCI-Express slots, just look on the manufactures website to double check because shops do not state it very clearly when it comes to what speed the PCI-Express slots run in SLI/Crossfire.

You probably wouldn't see much difference if you had the PCI-Express slots running at 2x 8x instead of 2 x 16x actually im pretty sure you wouldn't at all only slightly in benchmark testing.

But if you are a Gamer you might at well make it future proof so when cards do start showing differences when it comes to the speed of PCI-Express slots in the SLI/Crossfire configuration you already have that technology.

stickroad said:
If your going to get a motherboard and using it for SLI make sure you get one that HAS 2 x 16x PCI-Express slots, just look on the manufactures website to double check because shops do not state it very clearly when it comes to what speed the PCI-Express slots run in SLI/Crossfire.

You probably wouldn't see much difference if you had the PCI-Express slots running at 2x 8x instead of 2 x 16x actually im pretty sure you wouldn't at all only slightly in benchmark testing.

But if you are a Gamer you might at well make it future proof so when cards do start showing differences when it comes to the speed of PCI-Express slots in the SLI/Crossfire configuration you already have that technology.

if you ask me or anybody after a cheap mb, i dont give a rats *** about SLI anyway. Its just flawed, a new vid card is faster and cheaper
than 2 old ones so if its got 2x 8 or 2x16 its the same

Back