• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: How do I create a windows disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David_N

I'm looking for a guide on how to create a windows install disk, using a copy of windows I have installed on my hard drive, tweaked, and installed hardware drivers on. I spent ~6 hours setting the system up yesterday, and I'd love to be able to burn the data on my hard drive into a copy of windows xp I could use for reinstalls to save some time i the future.

It's XP Pro, and I have Nero 7 Ultra Edition. Any tips would be helpful. I've searched the forums and google, but haven't found anything that seems to apply.

Thanks.

So by doing that I will be able to create a CD that will be the same as a normal Windows CD, allowing me to boot from it, format my hard drive/partition, and install a fresh copy of windows including the drivers and registry tweaks I've done?

I'm not sure if I made it clear, but I'm looking for something that will follow the normal windows reformat/reinstall thing. My reading the DriveImage XML description, it looks like I won't be able to format my drive?

Sorry, I'm new to this :)

Thanks for the help though, it will definetly give me a goo start on this.

You would just need to boot to the XP CD, enter the Recovery Console and hit ENTER when asked for the Admin. password... then type:

FORMAT C: /Q /FS:NTFS ...the /Q switch performs a quick format.

After reformatting the boot partition, boot using your newly created BartPE CD, and then use DI XML to restore the image you made previously... which hopefully you saved to another drive or partition. Also make note of the fact that you can only restore your data to a partition that's exactly the same size or larger, regardless of the data size... when using DI XML. If you need to repartition your drive (keeping in mind what I said about DI XML, and restoring an image / partition size), you can use the DISKPART utility also from the Recovery Console.

Last edited:
Back