• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CUW-AM RAM limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abearikishi

I have an old HP Pavillion 7855 (from before I started building my own) I decided to try to breathe a little life into by upgrading the RAM. I guess that I've become accustomed to newer/non-proprietary computer parts, because I did a silly thing and bought one 512MB stick of SDRAM (PC133) to swap in place of a 256MB stick of SDRAM (PC133). With another 256MB stick of SDRAM (PC133) already in the other slot, this would bring the total RAM up from 512MB to 768MB.

Unfortunately (and I feel stupid for not checking this beforehand), HP claims that this motherboard (Asus CUW-AM) has a 512MB limit. Accordingly, when I tried to add in the new RAM, it just ignored it and used only the other 256MB.

Now, I'm guessing this is a lost cause, but two things make me wonder enough to ask here.
1. This computer originally had Windows ME on it (another sign of my former lack of knowledge hehe), but it has since been wiped clean and upgraded to Windows XP Professional. Didn't ME have a RAM limit? And if so, could this have been where HP was getting their numbers (I doubt that the documentation has been updated)?
2. When I had the 512 stick in, although it was ignored by the BIOS and Windows, cpu-z still accurately detected it. Wouldn't this mean that, physically at least, the RAM is compatible?

Basically, is it possible to break this 512MB limit? (i.e. is it soft problem (BIOS needs updating, etc.) or a hard problem (the motherboard physically won't allow it))

I'm open for any advice - or any confirmation of failure

Thanks in advance.

Back