• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New P5B-D setup...some setup detail questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Setting up a P5B-D based system this weekend, and I have a few detail questions concerning setting up this board.

First, I don't remember seeing in the manual anything special for installing off an IDE optical drive. The IDE ports are hung off the JMicron controller right? So do I have to do anything special to set an IDE optical drive on the JMicron controller as my boot drive for a WinXP install?

The onboard audio issues I've just recently read about - are these fixed at all? I was going to use the onboard for a few weeks or a month while I decide on a soundcard, I know it's not as good quality but it would just be temporary. I do have an ancient SB Live! if there's no way to make the onboard work reasonably, but I'd rather not install it and Creative's drivers if the onboard can be made workable.

This is more software about software, but still mostly related to this motherboard: I'm going to use my old comp to slipstream a new WinXP disk with SP2 and drivers. I'll look at the 'how to slipstream WinXP' stickie in the software forum again, but I just wanted to know if there's anything special to putting the latest drivers on the disk? Or is it just convenience, and you still just install the chipset etc drivers off the disk once windows is mostly installed? And is there a way to slipstream SP2 without installing WGA?

1. nothing special to do for installing off an IDE optical drive same as any other setup.
2. my onboard audio sounded OK, I could here system noise (newest drivers)
3 Dont know about slipstream, Im not good at stuff like that.

Thanks guys. I'll be doing the software stuff today on my old system, prepping the hardware maybe today or tomorrow, getting drunk :beer: then finalizing it in a opefully not too hung over state on Monday ;)

1) In bios under Boot set your optical drive as first boot device.
2) Onboard sound is awful but with the latest driver(4780) it is ok. Be sure after install to go into SoundMax properties and turn off DTS.
3)You can add the drivers to the install. many tutorials available on the net. I usually install them after I install Windows except when you loading on to a Raid disk, then you need the raid drivers on a floppy and ht F6 when prompted.

Back