• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rewiring a fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silvrhand

Registered
I have some new delta fans for my rad, but the power lead on them isn't that long is it possible to get to the termination points for the power to solder on longer wires, or does everyone just cut and solder on wiring to extend it?

I do the cut and solder too, to just add about 8" in the middle of the existing wire.

Scotchlocks work decently enough too, though you have to use them with larger sized wires as that's what they're made for (read the package). You can get them at any auto store, and they don't require solder or special tools to install.
I've even used the ones made for telephone wire, that you can get at Lowe's/Depot...they'll work on the smaller wires easily, and they're even filled with gel to stop corrosion in the joint.

I'll third the cut, solder, heatshrink method.

Or if you try one of those splicer dealies that Diggrr is talking about, I'd try the telephone ones. They'd be much better for smaller wires like that. But if you have a soldering iron, or can get a hold of one, that's the much better way to go!

I did a bunch of cutting and soldering on my custom wood case as the depth of the case made a number of cables too short. Soldering and heatshrinking takes up little space and just works. I don't like using connectors as they just take up too much space when trying to tie up and hide wiring. And with soldering you don't have to be concerned with anything somehow working loose when you are trying to maneuver and cram wires to hide them.

You could unsolder the wires on the PCB in the fan hub and put on a totally new set of leads. Just peal back the sticker and you should be able to see them. I have resoldered a couple of fans there that the wires have broken on.

I was able to get the fan blade off but, I was not able to get the PCB out of hte bottom of the fan, I can't seem to figure out how it was attached, I might sacrifice one fan to see how it is done.

Immortal_Hero said:
You could unsolder the wires on the PCB in the fan hub and put on a totally new set of leads. Just peal back the sticker and you should be able to see them. I have resoldered a couple of fans there that the wires have broken on.

Nope,

It's inverted at least the solder points are, it's a delta fan if that helps.

Immortal_Hero said:
Shouldn't need to take it out... should just have the solder points visible.

Back