• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! Trojan/Virus NAV2007 no help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

OK, I have narrowed down some of my problems after the first post.

Firefox works fine.

In the Wndows Task Manager I get anywhere from 5-45 iexplore.exe open, w/out any Internet explorer browser windows open. Firefox has only 2 windows open, 1 - 2 tabs per window open.

I had NAV2003 it deleted a couple of Trojans recently. Then AOL stopped working through system task bar only. I can open it via the icon in its directory.

I CANNOT however get Internet Explorer v5.5 I believe to work. If I click on the 'E' in the task bar, a window opens, but it freezes, no buttons can be pushed in the button bar no page opens. And the number of iexplore.exe increased in number either during or just after I shut it down by the Task Manager.

I downloaded trialware of NAV2007 did full system, didn't find the problem.
Spybot....no help either...Running Adaware right now...

I will say this..INTERESTING observation: I ran NAV overnight it found nothing, but my CPU usage was like 5percent, and had about 8 iexplore.exe open in Task Manager. However, now that I am using my computer via Firefox, and opening AOL, and running AdAware, there were about 20 iexplore.exe that opened over that past 20mins or so.

I checked Symantec's site for iexplore.exe and there must be a ton of virus's/Trojan's that generate this error. Yet NAV2007 couldn't find the problem.

SO....I ask any more knowledgeable people than...What would you suggest????

Lastly, if I have to ultimately reformat the entire the drive. I want to save my bookmarks, email addresses and any data files. What's the best way to insure that when I transfer these to my external hard drive and then transfer them back, that they don't reinfect my new install of Windows..I really don't want to do this..but I may have to.

first thing id do is go to run then type msconfig run that then check the startup tab look for anything unusual like svchost.exe at startup alot of the time that sort of process would not run at startup like that alot of trojans like to attach themselves to that process. Next try running adaware, AVG anti-virus and i would recommend try using Trend Micro PC Cillin it actually works alot better than norton these days, norton has turned into a resource hog which doesnt help a whole lot. Also the program hijackthis itll scan for any usual activex components and so forth. you should most likely run all these programs in safe mode itll keep the programs/trojans from coming back, also itll disconnect you from the net which is a good thing. Youve deffinately got some serious spyware/adware problems possibly a trojan. Hope maybe some of this helps.

After the format I'd update the OS totally before going online, ie all SP's installed. Install AV, enable the firewall, go online & finish updating the OS, then update the AV definitions. After doing all that you can move the old files over to the new build. If you run SP1 your always going to have problems like this.

Thanks...turns out I did everything people suggested, and still couldn't find the EXACT source. After running ccleaner and another cleaner I eliminated the large amount iexplors to some extent in the very beginning..but over time they came back..

I haven't a clue what went wrong. In the end I removed the drive, and bought a SATA 300gig Seagate 7200.9....Fresh install, updated to SP2, installing Kaspersky now, and then will go online to SP3 if there is one.

In the meantime I cannot seem to find the USB controller drivers at all for my mobo....This is frustrating.

Rilian said:
first thing id do is go to run then type msconfig run that then check the startup tab look for anything unusual like svchost.exe at startup alot of the time that sort of process would not run at startup like that alot of trojans like to attach themselves to that process. Next try running adaware, AVG anti-virus and i would recommend try using Trend Micro PC Cillin it actually works alot better than norton these days, norton has turned into a resource hog which doesnt help a whole lot. Also the program hijackthis itll scan for any usual activex components and so forth. you should most likely run all these programs in safe mode itll keep the programs/trojans from coming back, also itll disconnect you from the net which is a good thing. Youve deffinately got some serious spyware/adware problems possibly a trojan. Hope maybe some of this helps.

OMG I have that file in my startup an ddidnt know it was a bad one too. thanks man.

Back