• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermoChill PA120.3 Barbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evilrad

Finally got in my ThermoChill PA120.3 in today (after it has been on back order for over 2 weeks). It came with plastic barbs with Teflon Tape already on them and without o-rings. Will that be sufficient enough for the radiator not to leak? My BlackIce GTS came with metal barbs with o-rings and hasn't leaked. Should I get some different barbs, and if so, what kind (links please). Or will the ones that came with it be ok?

When I first saw the barbs that came with it, something told me that I shouldn't use them (which is why I started this thread). I went ahead and used them. And what do you know, after a few hours of leak testing a leak sprung up. I thought that by tightening it down some more would stop the slow leak. I was wrong. It only made it worse :mad: Those barbs are nice and all that you mentioned, but I need something now. So now my question is, are there any metal barbs that I can pick up at my local hardware store that will work without leaking? If not, I'll have to order those that were recommended and my PC continue to be down until they arrive.

The plastic fittings are DangerDen's standard ones. To get them to seal, just add more PTFE tape.

Any 3/8" BSP threaded fitting will fit the radiator.

I am going to order two of these 4860K657 (from mcmaster.com) and then grab some of the dangerden high flow fittings or the EK ones.

Part 4860K657: Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting Nickl-Pltd, 3/8" BSPP Male X1/4" BSPP Fem, Hex Bushing

Basically a 3/8 BSPP to 1/4 BSPP converter. With this you can use basically any kind of G1/4 fitting. It is easier to find G1/4 fittings than G3/8. [opinion] it seems to be more of a standard size [/opinion].

Not sure if the radiator takes tapered or parrallel fittings though :(. Anyone know??/ :confused: :confused:

Is there anywhere else that sales those barbs (or something similar) because cooltechnica has them back ordered with an ETA of 01/19?

i need an answer to the same question so if anyone can help us, that would be great.

Also, can anyone confirm that UmHelp's idea will work? Because, if so, I would much rather go that route since mcmaster gets the stuff to me the next day.

Just FYI I was able to get the same high flow 1/2 fittings for the PA at petrastechshop.com, when I got an e-mail (2 days LATER) from cooltechnica saying the were out of stock.

I'm not so sure that it would add a noticeable amount of flow restriction :confused:. The fittings are still going to be 1/2ID, it is just the fact that the G3/8 has more room for expansion. I think if you were using fittings bigger than 1/2ID then you would notice a difference because you would actually be restricting the flow on the count of the G1/4 fitting having a fitting ID that is bigger than the actual G1/4 hole.

To me the difference between G1/4 and G3/8 with 1/2ID fittings is really really small and should make little to no difference in flow rates. I have no scientific evidence to back up my theory thats just how I see this working. I could be wrong who knows?

I ordered some of converters I should get then today or tomorrow. :santa: :bday: I also ordered 10 EK G1/4 1/2ID fittings to change out everything in my loop. :D

Just FYI I was able to get the same high flow 1/2 fittings for the PA at petrastechshop.com, when I got an e-mail (2 days LATER) from cooltechnica saying the were out of stock.
I was shopping at petra's last night and they were out of stock of their G3/8 fittings.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/aqhifig3th1o.html

here is an update for anyone who cares:

61d4604f.jpg
7404117b-3.jpg
7404117b-1.jpg
7404117b-2.jpg
7404117b.jpg

I didn't get my fittings like i was suppose to I will post some pictures when they come in monday. :bang head :bang head

Looks like that will turn out nicely. I don't think there will be any noticeable restriction because the insides of the AquaXtreme's are 10.5 ID and the EK's are 10 ID. That half a mm isn't going to matter much.

Back